Bar length in the PNW

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpendave

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Shopping around for a replacement for the MS362 I sold. Narrowed it down to a Husqvarna 555 or 562XP. One thing I’ve noticed is that all the dealers around here (Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo) display all their saws with the longest recommended bar on them. Just curious as to how well the 555 runs a 24” bar in Douglas Fir or Bigleaf Maple. Will buy it with a 20” bar and only break out the 24” for larger wood. I do find myself taking down some 2’ diameter fits at my parents and was wondering how well the 555 would handle it. Or should I just go with the 562XP And put the 24 in her on it when I need it. Thinking the later in case I get some madrona every once and awhile. But would the $100 more be warranted?

044 or 372 with 20" & 28" worked out as a great firewood and falling combo for me. I prefer the 28" light bars as there is less bending and they balance well. I live in Oregon and prefer this to any 60cc combo. If your gonna cut 2 foot diameter wood, the 28" is great and 70cc power is about perfect.

I run my 562 with a 32 all the time when falling Doug fir, alder we’ll jump up to a 390 or 395 just for speed. The 555 we have is typically a landing saw so the max length I’ll put on is a 28 because of the size of the studs.
48970c4828c4dd1fc06c51c40e3d7e37.jpg
this is a 5+ foot cedar I cut with the 562 chains are square semi skip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know what size a 562 is but i do know it would be silly to go into the woods with a 20"

24 25 28 would be my pick

Though I'm not familiar with those saws, everyone I cut with runs a 24" and up.

But I'm over here in central WA, my 041s sports a 30" bar. thou I'm usually cutting some decent sized Doug fir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

One thing I’ve noticed is that all the dealers around here (Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo) display all their saws with the longest recommended bar on them
I think it is normal everywhere that dealers attempt to appeal to the insecurities of shoppers suffering bar envy. The local Stihl dealers all drop the price $10 for each step down in bar length.

My father -in-law was taking down 3’ + diameter bull pines with a 24” on a 562xp in Montana. Hot and dusty work.

I’m not sure if I’m trying to talk myself out of buying a 555 and into a 562XP or the other way around. Saving $100 could mean another bar and chains to go with it. But down the road, I’d hate to be running a 24” on the 555 and kicking myself for not going with the 562XP. For general firewood, I really liked the balance of the 20” on my MS362 which I recently sold.

So i have run the 562xp, and own the 555 and a 372xpw. and i will tell ya. I prefer the 372xpw with an 8 tooth rim over them all for my firewood needs. the only plus the only reason i would buy a 562xp is because of the weight. I personally can handle the weight of the 372 all day. That is just my .02 cents worth.

Sorry about the off topic, Hey smcrow, how is Izzy doing?
I used to go through your town between Lewiston and Walla Walla, and the first time I saw him standing in the pasture, I was afraid a weighmaster was going to hand me a jar, and tell me to fill it up ;)

A Camel in Central/Eastern Washington, who'da Thunk? :surprised3::)

Doug :cheers:

Sorry about the off topic, Hey smcrow, how is Izzy doing?
I used to go through your town between Lewiston and Walla Walla, and the first time I saw him standing in the pasture, I was afraid a weighmaster was going to hand me a jar, and tell me to fill it up ;)

A Camel in Central/Eastern Washington, who'da Thunk? :surprised3::)

Doug :cheers:
He is still kicking, the owners moved to Prescott which is 8 miles west of Waitsburg but he is still around

Latest posts

Back