Bar Length/Type Suggestions ... MS440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boundaryh20

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a longer bar to cut hardwoods in southern MN. Not sure whether to get a 25" or 28". Leaning towards the 25".

I just purchased this saw and it came with an 18" bar...and the saw is pretty much brand new.

The reason I bought this saw is that my MS361 with a 20" bar in big oak just doesn't seem to 'cut it'. I really like the 361, but in bigger wood where cuts on both sides of the log are necessary...more power seems to be required.

Also, is there much advantage one way or another between 0.050" or 0.63" pitch. I was thinking on keeping the chains the same between both of these saws.

Thanks all.

I'd go with a 25" ES bar they feel a little more rigid in the cut than the Rollmatic E bars. And get some RSC chain in .050 width, I don't know about your area but almost everyone here runs it.

I run .063 gauge on all of my saws, I find it to be more resistant to strech and breakage. I break a lot of chain because I plunge cut my humbolt face cuts to make to cuts meet up easer----well, easer for me any how. When plunging with an aggressive chain it tends to snap the side straps on .050 chain.

Get the lightweight 25" Stihl ES bar for the 440. Put the 18 on the 361. .050 is most popular around here. Never had a Stihl chain break, even after hitting a railroad spike.

Back