bar nut specs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upandcommer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK So i had a novel idea for a thread anyone know the thread specs for the major manufacturers bar nuts. Just thought i could save a few bucks by buying the nuts in bulk for the saws i have I know most are fine thread and some are metric some are sae so hit me I am mostly interested in the ones for my saws but heck if you need a bar nut and cannot make it to the dealer cause it is a holiday with the right thread specs you should be able to pick up what you need at any hardware store.

Stihl current??
husky current??
mac ??
homelite??
should about cover it
also if you are reading this is a nylock type nut advantageous (sp?) to add to the bar studs for the increased vibration the fasteners are subjected to?

didn't know bailey's would have bar nuts for old 1963 mac saws i have nylocks on the 1-43 but i am more concerned about the others in my collection the pm610 lost one the other day while bucking up it's third tree of the day so now till i can find the specs i am at a standstill with that workhorse. I tried the homelite bar nuts not the same thread and the others in my collection are either stihl or wayyy smaller than that saw so mostly metric threads.

If you pull out 200 saws I will venture a guess you will find there are only a few different dia and pitch studs. Pull 1 stud of each dia/pitch and take it into your local hardware store. Do not take it to the mega store take it to a local hardware store. Match it up and buy what you need.

Bill

You won't find the big Stihl nuts at a hardware store.. They are M8x1.25 internal and whatever the spark plus is external (19mm?) .

Latest posts

Back