Bar Oil Lifespan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezvet

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it. Understood that fuel and gas/oil mixes have a definite shelf life. But does bar oil lose its lubricating properties after sitting for months or years?

No, not really. Not a lot of volatiles in bar oil, maybe give it a good shake to make sure the tackifiers haven't settled, but it should be fine. Never really been a bar oil snob myself, as long as something is slinging on the chain you're good... we would routinely run canola oil if we were over decks or water features with no issues.

No, not really. Not a lot of volatiles in bar oil, maybe give it a good shake to make sure the tackifiers haven't settled, but it should be fine. Never really been a bar oil snob myself, as long as something is slinging on the chain you're good... we would routinely run canola oil if we were over decks or water features with no issues.
Thanks for your help. Have a chance to pick up some older oil locally and wondered...

Bio- Vegetable oils go bad. Regular petroleum based as long as it's capped and out of heat/light will last a long time.
And even if it is in the heat or light, it may still be ok. I've used quarts of 30ND motor oil that came out of floorboards of junkyard trucks and had been there for who knows how long as bar oil.
Just take a look at it and use your good judgement. It isn't going to kill a bar or chain to use a few tanks of slightly less than perfect oil like it will inside of a motor, the demands are much less.

If oil can sit in the ground for 65 million years and be fine i don't think 3-5 years in a bottle will make any difference.
I don't think I'd want to use crude oil on my bar and chain, and bar oil is a refined product, so there will be volatiles that will evaporate over time, but yes, I wouldn't be afraid of 5 year old bar oil. 2 stroke mix, not so much, and definitely not gas.

Latest posts

Back