Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a weather swing! We had a sunny 83°F yesterday with steady 30 mph winds, today it's almost as windy but 42° and rainy.:cold: Gotta love spring in Wisconsin!
Exact opposite here. 50 something degrees yesterday and expected 80* today. I can tell you were well on our way to 80* too. Even broke out the shorts.

Attachments

• 20240428_125701.jpg
    20240428_125701.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Exact opposite here. 50 something degrees yesterday and expected 80* today. I can tell you were well on our way to 80* too. Even broke out the shorts.
Pretty sure shorts tomorrow out planting sweet corn and Indian corn. Looks like a lot of AT on the tractor tomorrow.

1714326313704.jpg
Hey friends, looking for a bit of help identifying this wood. I had cut this tree down and bucked it for my grandmother late this winter. The tree had some rot in the stump, and no foliage. It had to go. Tree was about 60ft tall, and 14" in diameter
Based on the bark I had thought maybe balsam fir? The trunk bark was sort of flakey and in chunks like a pine, but the limb wood was more papery - like birch bark. Inside, the center was a nice red colour, and outer 2" or so light brown.

I will burn this wood anyways, but just wondering... What kinda wood is it? 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240428_134638261_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240428_134638261_HDR.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240428_134706436_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240428_134706436_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240428_134836277_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240428_134836277_HDR.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 1173322
Hey friends, looking for a bit of help identifying this wood. I had cut this tree down and bucked it for my grandmother late this winter. The tree had some rot in the stump, and no foliage. It had to go. Tree was about 60ft tall, and 14" in diameter
Based on the bark I had thought maybe balsam fir? The trunk bark was sort of flakey and in chunks like a pine, but the limb wood was more papery - like birch bark. Inside, the center was a nice red colour, and outer 2" or so light brown.

Looks like cherry

Looks like cherry
Cheers, that would be my next best guess, as a coworker of mine had mentioned he took out a cherry that was really similar. The wood is fairly dense like a fruit tree would be. I think I'll save this stuff for heating the cabin. Got plenty more than enough soft wood here for outdoor fires

Hi Guys,

Weekend went fast. Had a work meeting and then a conference that gobbled up most of yesterday. Then prom grand march last night. Most of the kids who did not have bf/gf all went solo so they had a great turnout (roughly 80 people from a total group size of 90 in the jr/sr classes.

Breakfast with a friend this morning. Tried out a new/old cafe (recently reopened under new ownership, had been closed since early covid). Food was so-so. I hope they can make a go.

At work now (remember I am mining a lot of salt this spring so I can take a month off this summer). Was supposed to have a board meeting tonight but that was postponed which is fine by me.

View attachment 1173322

Definitely Black Cherry in the top pic.

It was a rainy day here. I planted a couple pear trees and ten swamp white oaks this afternoon. I then spent a few minutes sharpening some chains. Here's the sharpening clamp I inherited from my wife's grandpa.20240428_173915.jpgIt works pretty well, the chain is clamped nice and tight between two pieces of 1/4" steel plate. Loosening three 5/16" bolts allows the chain to be moved to the next position.

Latest posts

Back