Bar oil pouring made easy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I went a different route. Last winter I went to Wal-Mart and got two tin 1 qt water bottles about $2.00 each, both have about a 2 inch neck and screw in big black caps so there is plenty of room for vent and oil flow. I take 2 saws into the woods all gassed and oiled plus each bottle one for gas the other ...well you got it. Yes the bottles are small but each one will fill you up twice. So with the saws already full that's 4 tanks of gas and 4 of oil.
I am not too big time just my fire wood but I have never had to come home early cause I was out of fuel or oil. Too decrepit to use that much fuel in one sitting....Maybe that's the problem? maybe I need to stand ?

. . . I went to Wal-Mart and got two tin 1 qt water bottles about $2.00 each,

For years, backpackers used 1 Liter, aluminum SIGG bottles to carry fuel (white gas / Coleman fuel) for their backpacking stoves. Later, these seemed to also be sold as water bottles, when some people became concerned about plastics, You are 'carrying' on the tradition!

Philbert

Screen shot 2014-01-20 at 5.11.41 PM.png

Still trying the Era spigot system but I had to get a burner for my oven today. Right next door to the appliance place was an O'Reilly's and they had just one battery filler bottle, the one with the screw on top. Surely a sign from on high so I scored it too. The bottle is a little small but I have an adapter that might happen to fit that spigot and a gas can or bigger jug. Holds plenty for the little saw anyway and that is the one I tend to oil inside and out. The medium sized saw does such a fine job oiling everything that spilling oil all over it is just overkill!

Hu

I think I found my oil spillage problem!

Went to test the battery filler bottle today and it fills too slow. Opened the top cap and poured almost full then topped from the filler spout and it did give me a perfect fill, as full as it could be and the cap going on not push oil out.

The detergent bottle with push button is faster, the bottles Philbert mentioned with the built in spouts are no doubt faster yet. Nothing wrong with the screw on top, quick twist valve, and clear tube I bought somewhere on the road to put oil in a truck when I was traveling decades ago either.

Pretty sure the major issue is between my ears. Seem to have an issue with patients. Some folks claim I can't even spell it right!

Still pouring seven dollar a gallon gas everywhere . . . .

Hu

I know this thread is about 'alternate' bar oil bottles, but since the subject of small fuel bottles came up,

http://www.geardetails.com/msr-fuel-bottle

I am strongly against carrying fuel in anything other than a fuel container.

I also wouldn't put bar oil in a maple syrup bottle and store it in the kitchen (even tho it would probably pour nicely into a small fill-hole).

Bar Oil Witness Protection Program?

Using detergent bottles with the nice pour spouts has been mentioned a number of times for bar and chain oil. I wanted to mark mine clearly. But the labels on the new bottles are printed on, and don't come off as easily as paper labels. I have not had good luck spray painting plastic either. Acetone did not touch the print, but *lacquer thinner did! As a bonus, it left a white area that I can write on more clearly than on the orange background of Tide bottles.

Tide.jpg

*The printing ink came off easily with the lacquer thinner and a paper towel on 4 of the 5 Tide bottles. For some reason, the Coldwater Tide label did not budge. I don't know why. It gave in to 'wet sanding' with the lacquer thinner and fine steel wool.

Philbert

I think I'll try this on my next small jug of Wisk. Philbert scores again!

p.s. Hard to believe that acetone was outperformed by lacquer thinner. Acetone will even loosen up rock hard paint brushes, hardened with dried oil base or latex, saving them for future use. Gasoline won't even do that.

Or, instead of all this screwing around transferring bar oil into other containers, you just stop pouring just before it overflows. Problem solved!!!

Just kidding. I know that doesn't work. Sure seems like it ought to though.

I use a dish washing soap bottle. It' clear plastic so I can see how much is in it and the cap has one of those valves that you can open by pulling on it. To close, just push the valve back in.

I squeeze the oil into the tank and if I start to get too much, I just stop squeezing and let the suction inside the bottle stop the flow.
Was going to say the same but beaten to the draw :happy:

Back