Bar oil pouring made easy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just realized those auto-stop spouts are very familiar! I was using them over fifty years ago, to fill automotive batteries with water. Strikes me that those bottles held about a gallon of water and might make a mighty fine oil jug if the seals aren't destroyed by oil. Don't know if they are any cheaper, they were "expensive" in the day, but I think I'll look for one just to see.

Hu

After chasing all over the world, searching and researching, I have came upon the two per cent solution. I would say free but I know nobody wants to use anything that is free.

Rainy day here, as usual being a born again bachelor I am behind on my housework. Started washing clothes and cast my eye on the liquid laundry soap bottle. The Era, and other brands too, have a push button spigot. Washed up a spigot and old bottle and took it outside. Tested with the dregs of old hydraulic oil and got a very respectable flow. The only thing that isn't plastic is a steel spring so it should hold up to oil. Since the spout is small and points straight down it seems easy to see how much oil I am putting in. When I let go of the button it is instant off too, the seal is at the end of the spout.

I think I'll have to give this further testing. The jug is short and fat, stable on it's bottom or it's side. Looking a little more, Sun and All have more square shaped jugs although the Era jug seems just fine. May have to buy my next jug of detergent based on shape of the jug!

I think this will work better than the clear tube with the valve at the can like I have now. Further testing when the sun is shining but I think I have found my oil jug. Best of all I get a new one for free every couple of months. Not as comfortable putting gas in one of these jugs but I may give it a try. The spigot might fit on some of my existing gas jugs too. There is a round spout on the spigot that would allow attaching a piece of tubing if desired. The only question left is how durable this is.

erajug.JPG

The problem with plasitc is that some types disolve in gas. So actually only HDPE is rated for all types of fuel. There have been threads of people wrecking their saw only to find out the fuel disolved the bottle and the deposits killed the engine.

The strange thing about the "auto spouts" is that in Germany you are actually not allowed to transport it in the car without switching over to regular screw caps. Of course nobody really cares but if you get caught you pay a fine!

Yes Germany the land of rules. In 1 region I go to a lot there is a cutting ban for 2 months! LOL When we used to go and get Holz the gas cans were in the trailer and never an issue. It has a fuel tank holder so there is no fear of it tipping over Also helps if you know the blokes in the Forst Verwaltung quite well. ( forest wardens )

The problem with plasitc is that some types disolve in gas. So actually only HDPE is rated for all types of fuel. There have been threads of people wrecking their saw only to find out the fuel disolved the bottle and the deposits killed the engine.

Thanks! Didn't particularly want it for gas anyway and may wind up only using the spigot for oil.

Hu

Yes Germany the land of rules. .....When we used to go and get Holz the gas cans were in the trailer and never an issue. It has a fuel tank holder so there is no fear of it tipping over Also helps if you know the blokes in the Forst Verwaltung quite well. ( forest wardens )
Or you own your own forest like me... :D

Just realized those auto-stop spouts are very familiar! I was using them over fifty years ago, to fill automotive batteries with water. Strikes me that those bottles held about a gallon of water and might make a mighty fine oil jug if the seals aren't destroyed by oil. Don't know if they are any cheaper, they were "expensive" in the day, but I think I'll look for one just to see.

Hu

Shootingarts, thanks for the tip. Advance Auto and O'Reilly both carry 2 quart battery fillers. AA didn't stock them but the local O'Reilly had one. Note the past tense as I now have it. I'm not sure if 2 quarts is enough for me but the spout appears to be the same as the gallon bar oil jugs. We will see. $10.99 before tax. I don't really need one but with some of my old saws I think it will be real handy and save me an ounce or two per jug. Ron

IMG_3588.JPG

Anyone ever come across a double threaded fitting that will screw onto an oil jug. Then screw an "empty" jug to the fitting and let it drain into newer oil jug. If you understand what I am getting at.

Shootingarts, thanks for the tip. Advance Auto and O'Reilly both carry 2 quart battery fillers. AA didn't stock them but the local O'Reilly had one. Note the past tense as I now have it. I'm not sure if 2 quarts is enough for me but the spout appears to be the same as the gallon bar oil jugs. We will see. $10.99 before tax. I don't really need one but with some of my old saws I think it will be real handy and save me an ounce or two per jug. Ron

View attachment 328563

Looks good! Think I'll pass by the O'Reilly's next time I am that way. Please let us know how the bottle works out.

Hu

Anyone ever come across a double threaded fitting that will screw onto an oil jug. Then screw an "empty" jug to the fitting and let it drain into newer oil jug. If you understand what I am getting at.

Seen em for 2 liter pop bottles.

Otherwise, I use a funnel and brace things so that they don't fall over.

Philbert

Can't swear to it but I believe I saw some doubled-end flexible gizmos at O'Reillys today. Their site is down for maintenance right now so I can't check to see just what I saw in the store. Ron

Looks good! Think I'll pass by the O'Reilly's next time I am that way. Please let us know how the bottle works out.

Hu

The online catalog showed a different one that didn't have the filler cap. It looked like you would remove the spout to fill it. I was glad to see the one in the store was like the AA models with the separate filler cap. Ron

The online catalog showed a different one that didn't have the filler cap. It looked like you would remove the spout to fill it. I was glad to see the one in the store was like the AA models with the separate filler cap. Ron

Thanks, I'll bear in mind I might have to hit more than one O'Reilly's. Only one fairly close but I go by a couple more now and then.

Hu

Sorry, the spout doesn't fit the gallon jugs as I hoped. Also doesn't fit my gas cans. But the spout angle is just right for my old MACs. I haven't measured, but I think I usually use more than 2 quarts an outing; I do spill a lot especially when the jug is about empty. Ron

After chasing all over the world, searching and researching, I have came upon the two per cent solution.

Based on some ideas from earlier threads here on AS, I went out and scrounged a bunch of 50 oz Tide bottles from the neighbors on recycling day (they are used to me by now). Not too big, and not too small. These have the 'no spill' pour spouts.

Took several rinses in hot water to get all the suds out. Will try one for regular bar oil and one for winter weight bar oil, but not for fuel - my 1 gallon gas cans work OK for that.

Have to figure out a good way to mark these: the labels are screen printed on and did not come off with acetone; maybe lacquer thinner? Or else I will just hit them with spray paint to flag them and attach a durable tag to the handle.

Philbert

Have to figure out a good way to mark these: the labels are screen printed on and did not come off with acetone; maybe lacquer thinner? Or else I will just hit them with spray paint to flag them and attach a durable tag to the handle.

Philbert

Painting the bottle works pretty good of course. As a quick and dirty marking that holds up real well I put a cable tie or two around the handle of my two cycle gas cans. I have close to a dozen identical gas cans scattered around so I try to make very sure that I don't grab the wrong one. My two cycle can is marked "Saw" but I don't trust the marking to not wash off. The cable tie under my hand is an instant reminder, there or not.

Hu

Based on some ideas from earlier threads here on AS, I went out and scrounged a bunch of 50 oz Tide bottles from the neighbors on recycling day (they are used to me by now). Not too big, and not too small. These have the 'no spill' pour spouts.

Took several rinses in hot water to get all the suds out. Will try one for regular bar oil and one for winter weight bar oil, but not for fuel - my 1 gallon gas cans work OK for that.

Philbert
You might have already thought about this but i'll share the first thing that came to mind about labeling your oil jugs.
Spray paint a 2" band all the way around the jug at what ever height you see fit.
Blue paint for winter oil.
Red paint for summer oil.

I just use an old laundry detergent container with the push button spout. Holds a few gallon and rides nice in the truck and doesn't seem to leak. I suppose when transferring from the orig gallons you may lose some. I guess u could remedy that by washing em out with some diesel and it would thin it some for the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back