Bar oil running down my leg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabits

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was out running the gas out of my MS361 and found oil on my pants I put the saw down on the patio and noticed bar oil pooling under the saw. It seems that the oil is running down the inside of the saw instead of down the bar when the saw is idling, is the oil pump suppose to be pumping when the saw is idling. The saw is new with only about 3 tanks of gas run through it, and is still very clean. All the holes in the chain guard plate and the bar line up,but still the oil runs out the bottom. I ask this so I will at least half way sound like I know I am talking about When I take it back to the dealer.

You might need to turn the oiler down. Also check the mating suface of the bar and saw body, make sure they are clean and in proper position to seal.

Reminds me of that great insult...best part of you musta run down your mommas leg.

New? They have been out for a few years now. Once you get used to the "new" fangled caps they are pretty simple and reliable.

I hope the best part of the saw did not run down my leg.:laugh: No the caps are not leaking the oil is running down next to the chain. Is the pump supposed to be pumping at an idle, because the saw did sit for a time at idle. None of my other saws do this.

Check your oil holes on the bar. Make sure they are clean and are mated to the saw correctly. If there is any gap between the bar and the saw it will leak no matter who makes the saw!

Take that there 361 leaker to Mr. Hall at the Va stihl dealer and say I have a stihl 361 leaker to go with your husky 372 leaker. Bookends.;)

I hope the best part of the saw did not run down my leg.:laugh: No the caps are not leaking the oil is running down next to the chain. Is the pump supposed to be pumping at an idle, because the saw did sit for a time at idle. None of my other saws do this.

Well, on a serious note, I have a similar problem on my 372. It's the oil tank vent which exits (surprise, surprise) right between the bar studs. Makes for a god awfull mess, just as you describe, when the saw is idling or after shut off.

What's happening is, the cool oil is expanding from the engine heat. As long as your sawing, the expansion is countered by the pumps useage. If you stop, it pushes out. Not sure if the case is the same on the 361, but I know I got to look into that oil vent line and figure out what's up.

What's happening is, the cool oil is expanding from the engine heat. As long as your sawing, the expansion is countered by the pumps usage. If you stop, it pushes out. Not sure if the case is the same on the 361, but I know I got to look into that oil vent line and figure out what's up.
This 361 is new to me so I will check on this,(I have not had a chance to take it apart yet.) though at the time the oil tank was less then half full. I did not notice this earlier because I was cutting, and only found out when trying to run out the gas.:greenchainsaw:

Take that there 361 leaker to Mr. Hall at the Va stihl dealer and say I have a stihl 361 leaker to go with your husky 372 leaker. Bookends.;)

BTW Mr. THall is only 4 hours away from me. So I might just visit him.:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy:

Latest posts

Back