Bar Plates or guides.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3000 FPS

Dirt Roads are fine by me.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So lately I have picked up a couple of saws. These are running saws except for one thing, the bar plates are missing. So am I missing something is this a part of the saw that some people feel that is not needed? It has been my understanding that the reason they are there is to help keep chips and saw dust from getting into the crevices of the saw. So has anyone else run into this and is it something I should not worry about replacing? I would think that they are a needed item and should be there.

Not sure what you mean by bar plate or guide:dunno:

When you remove the clutch cover there are usually two metal plates. There is one on the inside and one on the outside of the bar. They sandwich the bar when you put the side cover on and tighten the nuts down. I was just asking if some people removed them and run their saws without them.

Those plates let you mount 12mm Stihl bars on a Husky saw so if you are using a Stihl bar on a Husky yes you need them if not you're good to go. If thats what you're talking about i've never had plates between my bar and clutch cover.

Last edited:
Typical inside bar plate. Outside is usually mirror image without oiler slot at top.

attachment.php

Outside one is most often missing/lost in the leaves, snow or carelessness.

As previously mentioned there are many brands that use bar plates, one not mentioned was older Homlites. My 924 doesn't have them and I haven't had a problem with chips interrupting the oiler yet. I also haven't cut a bunch with it yet. Pretty sure you can find what you need here:
Chainsawr Search

I run them on my huskys. Wouldn't the factory engineers have left them off if they were not needed? I'm not sure what they do other than keeping the steel of the bar from eating into the magnesium case, guiding the chain from the point of where it leaves the bar to the sprocket, and providing the case some small measure of protection if the chain jumps off of the bar. Maybe some others will have better info than me.

I run them on my huskys. Wouldn't the factory engineers have left them off if they were not needed? I'm not sure what they do other than keeping the steel of the bar from eating into the magnesium case, guiding the chain from the point of where it leaves the bar to the sprocket, and providing the case some small measure of protection if the chain jumps off of the bar. Maybe some others will have better info than me.

Exactly. Engineers are lothe to add unneeded features and the attendent cost to an assembly.

Those plates let you mount 12mm Stihl bars on a Husky saw so if you are using a Stihl bar on a Husky yes you need them if not you're good to go. If thats what you're talking about i've never had plates between my bar and clutch cover.

what?

With Homelites the outer plate doesn't have the slot. The purpose of that is it stops the oil from coming on thru the hole and not going down the rail. Most bars have the oil hole to go all the way thru so the user can turn the blade over and rotate wear on top and bottom of bar. I thought everyone knew that information.
chainsawlady

Pretty much sums it up as far as why they are included IMO. I would add that on my saw, MS362, the bar plate seems to offer some protection from chips and oil gunking up around the chain tensioner. Without it I would imagine that area to get pretty packed with debris quite fast.

Pretty much sums it up as far as why they are included IMO. I would add that on my saw, MS362, the bar plate seems to offer some protection from chips and oil gunking up around the chain tensioner. Without it I would imagine that area to get pretty packed with debris quite fast.

A brush fixes the gunk problem everytime and air at the end of the day. It don't get all nasty if they're maintained properly.

Last edited:
A brush fixes the gunk problem everytime and air at the end of the day. It don't get all nasty if they're maintained properly.

Implying that I don't maintain my saw and that I do have access to air? I clean my saw everytime it is used, unfortunately I don't have an air compressor or easy access to one so I spend alot of time with brushes, picks and a rag, removing gunk from all the crevices on the saw. That plate stops most if not all the debris from collecting in the chain tensioner area, just saying.

Something like that, yes.

Ime, most saws have at least an inner one, fewer has an outer one as well.

Some help create the channel so the oil gets to where it needs to go.

Latest posts

Back