Bar Plates or guides.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree

Terraphobic
Implying that I don't maintain my saw and that I do have access to air? I clean my saw everytime it is used, unfortunately I don't have an air compressor or easy access to one so I spend alot of time with brushes, picks and a rag, removing gunk from all the crevices on the saw. That plate stops most if not all the debris from collecting in the chain tensioner area, just saying.

Thats not what im implying at all im just saying i dont have plates on any of my saws and never had a problem. Air is the way to go even a little 12v will do the job.

Last edited:
galde

galde

Addicted to ArboristSite
Typical inside bar plate. Outside is usually mirror image without oiler slot at top.

attachment.php

Outside one is most often missing/lost in the leaves, snow or carelessness.
I see that that one has been run at least once while installed backwards.

Urbicide

Urbicide

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
In some instances, the bar plates are referred to as spacers or spacer plates.

In other cases, separate spacer plates are used in conjunction with the bar plates in order to center the bar further away from both the crankcase & from the clutch cover. This is important when a chain is used that cuts a much wider-than-normal kerf, & could potentially do some serious damage to the saw itself. Clear as mud?

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
That plate stops most if not all the debris from collecting in the chain tensioner area, just saying.

keeping the steel of the bar from eating into the magnesium case, guiding the chain from the point of where it leaves the bar to the sprocket, and providing the case some small measure of protection if the chain jumps off of the bar.

The purpose of that is it stops the oil from coming on thru the hole and not going down the rail

the bar plate seems to offer some protection from chips and oil gunking up around the chain tensione

In some instances, the bar plates are referred to as spacers or spacer plates

+ 5

Philbert