Bar rail truing.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished truing up a 20" sthil ES bar. I used our machine shops vertical belt sander to get the rails flat and square ( it was real out of true) then took off the sharpness on the edges with a file and smoothed the rail surface by lightly draw filing.

My questions are:

1) How do you deal with wear on the tip? I know this is not as critical of an area as the flat of the bar for performance. The best solution I could come up with was to hold the bar in a vise, then with a small file that would fit between the teeth on the tip, draw file around the tip keeping the file between the teeth as they turned. Does anybody bother to do this or have a better method?

P.S. I know ES bars have a replaceable tip but the bearings/sprocket are fine

2) I checked the groove width/wear with a couple of feeler gauges stacked together. I think this bar was O.K. as I was getting 0.053" (3/8 0.050 bar) for most of the length. At what point do you have too much clearance and need to tighten things up by closing the rails?

Ignore the tip area. I use a bar grinder that allows us to get inbeween the drive tangs, but rarely touch up more than the the two flat(er) surfaces.

053? that's like new! A rail groove has to be very very worn to worry about closing. I rarely do it...

It works best for me if I take the burr of the bar first.
The burr keeps the bar from laying flat and has to be ground away before the rails will acually begin to be ground at 90 degrees.

Back