Bar Refinishing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildman1024

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Took a little time this afternoon and striped that nasty looking green and silver paint off the bar of the S6000 I recently aquired.

1. I used some carb cleaner and sprayed the bar and let it sit for 30 seconds and was able to wipe most of the paint off with a rag.

2. I bought a 3M heavy duty Automotive paint and rust stripper wheel for the drill. It was a black wheel kinda a mix of rubber and fiberglass. It worked well to finish the paint removal w/o hurting the bar. It also removed the oxidation under the paint and left the bar with a nice shiny clean finish.

3. I then took some carb cleaner on a clean rag and wiped the bar down to make sure all the residue was off and not to touch it with my bare hands again.

4. I hung it up by a piece of old starter rope and primed it. A few light coats evenly applied.

Here is what it looked like before and what it looks like so far. I plan on painting it just black and may do a stencil but unsure yet. This is the paint and primer i'm using. I chose the engine paint cause of its resistance to gas and oil hoping it will hold up well.

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

How big is your oven?

Here are 2 more with the 1st coat of black. Tomorrow I'll spray another coat. When i'm done maybe a quick bake in the oven.

Looking good! I hope the paint holds out for a while. Just a thought....what length is that bar? How big is your oven?

If you use that saw to cut any amount of wood the paints going to come off. I see no point in repainting a bar unless it's a show piece. But she sure does look good.

Thanks guys. I should be able to get the final coats of black on tomorrow then let it dry good. I'm hoping to find a close match of that green for the stencil or if not maybe a nce orange would look good with the green and black

Cool old saw, I never seen a 6000 before, how many cubes?

Cool old saw, I never seen a 6000 before, how many cubes?

I love that saw. It's 100cc of ported fury.

Check out my thread called giant poulan on my porch. There is a video there.

I'm gonna make a new video this week when my bar dries. I made that video with a new camera and it sux so I returned it and got a better camera and need to remake the video plus I can do them in 1080 HD now to so stay tuned

Nice saw and good work on the bar.I would try to bake the paint for sure.Painted bars don't hold up too well.I have seen a few bars that were taken down to the bare metal and polished then clear coated that held up well.Don't know what clear coating is on my Sugi Hara bar but its holding up very well.

Nice saw and good work on the bar.I would try to bake the paint for sure.Painted bars don't hold up too well.I have seen a few bars that were taken down to the bare metal and polished then clear coated that held up well.Don't know what clear coating is on my Sugi Hara bar but its holding up very well.

I'm thinking of clear coating it anyways to try and protect it better. It's not a saw to use all the time but I would like to keep it as good looking as possible

Looks good. I'm planning on touching-up the old bar on my 261 for $hit's and giggles. Look's like I need to buy some more carb cleaner.

Back