Bar size for 038AV in Big Oak and Hickory?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackdodge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Saw Hands, right now this 038 is my biggest bucking saw. With a muffler mod, what is the biggest bar & chain i would be happy with on this thing cutting solid oak & hickory?

I run 20 and 25 inch bars on my 038 mag. IMHO the saw feels to be balanced best with the 2 footer, but it pulls the 20 noticeably better buried in hardwood.

I like 25" with full skip chain the best. :rock:

The real answer might be related to the oiler in that saw.

I think the 038 mags are 72 cc saws right? Then there are the regular versions which are 61 cc???

I think my 041 av is a 61cc, and I would not go over 20" with it period. I love that saw, but its just not a 24" saw in any wood.

Appreciation!

Thanks so much for the input everyone! That's what i was looking for. Looks like i'm in the market for a Hot 660 now then! Anyone selling one?

Check the classified section, there's one for trade.

I've had a 28" full skip on my 38 mag and it pulled it fine, oiler seemed to keep up too. If you were looking for a saw to run a long bar on regularily I would get a bigger one, for the occasional large tree it will do just fine.

Latest posts

Back