bar size for a 257

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boike

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am putting a new bar on an older 257. It had a 3/8- 20" bar that I had used for a number of years. From the search I did most here recommend a 16" bar. Would it be worth it to switch to .325 or am I better off to stick with the 3/8? Baileys has some great(cheep) bar/chain combos. Is this a good route to go? I will be using the saw for small limbs and smaller rounds.

Is it hard to change out the drive sprocket with an out board clutch?

I'd go for that 16" Bailey's combo, at that price. Did Troll say 3.7hp?, sounds about right for a standard .325 setup. Check their tool section for the clutch removal tool. Not sure how else to remove the clutch.

Last edited:
I'd go for that 16" Bailey's combo, at that price. Did Troll say 3.7hp?, sounds about right for a standard .325 setup. Check there tool section for the clutch removal tool. Not sure how else to remove the clutch.

I never used one, but think it is borderline between .325 and 3/8". Having to make a decition without trying both, I probably would have opted for 3/8, with a 16" bar.

It probably is a good idea to change the sprocket or rim anyway, if you have ran the one on the saw for years.

Last edited:
the 257 is 2.7kw, which is about 2.8 hp, I think. It think they ran 3/8's on the 20" bar, but .325 on the smaller ones, but I was not sure about the durability of the .325 on this saw(not that it is a power horse or anything). I do only cut hardwood with it.

I was reading the spec. on acresinternet site a couple days ago and I think it is around 3.7 hp. I think you may be right on the 2.7kW

Deezle

Last edited:
Yes, 2.7kW and 3.7 HP

I have a 257 and a 262 (same chasis), I like them both with an 18" best, for power, balance and control. I ran them with 20's when need, but the 18 is better.

The sprocket should be replaced anyway if it's worn/dimpled alot.

Why change to a .325??

thanks for all the help! looks like I am going to stay with the 3/8 in a 16" bar. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Something that gets ignored allot here in all of the hp and bar size threads is this.

Is the tenth of a second gain of pulling a few less drivers worth bending over 4 more inches or standing 4 inches taller on you tows. Just because it has a 20 inch bar doesn't mean you have to bury it 20 inches into a log.

Latest posts

Back