Bar size for MS462 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that the 28” on the 462 only gains me an inch over the 25” on the 362. The larger dogs eat up some of the usable bar length.

My 462 has the stock inner bumper spike, and curiosity got me, so I used the outer spike from my MS360 (believe it shares the same part# as my 261 doubles).

Anyway, just had to open up the top screw hole (on the spike). Looks stock, and seems to work just fine. I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• 20200527_221253.jpg
    20200527_221253.jpg
    871.8 KB · Views: 21
You guys mentioned using a 28" because the 25" isn't much of a gain over a 20". How nose heavy does the 462 get with a 28" or 32" ? Best I have to compare to is a regular ES 25" on an MS360. You have to carry it by the chain brake handle to keep it balanced while walking. Otherwise it feels like the nose is going to hit the dirt. Seems like there was 2 lbs different in the 25" ES and ES Light. Ill weigh them again tomorrow.

I dont think my dealer have an issue trading me up to the 28 or 32. If they don't want to trade, ill sell it for what I have in it,.$115. It was on mounted to check weight and balance . Ill let you know how well it goes now.

28 or 32" ES bar will be extremely nose heavy on the 462. I only run as long of a bar as I need, for the wood I am cutting, and they are all light bars. I'm not going to run a 32" bar to cut 20" wood. IMO, 32" is too big for a 462. I use my 661 for that stuff. I don't own anything 28". My 462 usually wears a 20", but will get a 24/25" when the 20 won't get it done. Both are lightweight Tsumura bars. I cut 6-7 trees last weekend with my 462, and at the base, a couple were about 22" diameter. I just had to alter my cutting technique a bit, to allow the 20" bar to cut all the way through. Wasn't worth swapping to a 24/25, to make a few cuts. The lighter the saw is, the safer it is for me to use, especially at the end of a long day. Enjoy that 462...it is my favorite saw right now.

28 or 32" ES bar will be extremely nose heavy on the 462. I only run as long of a bar as I need, for the wood I am cutting, and they are all light bars. I'm not going to run a 32" bar to cut 20" wood. IMO, 32" is too big for a 462. I use my 661 for that stuff. I don't own anything 28". My 462 usually wears a 20", but will get a 24/25" when the 20 won't get it done. Both are lightweight Tsumura bars. I cut 6-7 trees last weekend with my 462, and at the base, a couple were about 22" diameter. I just had to alter my cutting technique a bit, to allow the 20" bar to cut all the way through. Wasn't worth swapping to a 24/25, to make a few cuts. The lighter the saw is, the safer it is for me to use, especially at the end of a long day. Enjoy that 462...it is my favorite saw right now.
I was just curious really. I've had the old style 25" for awhile, but that thing weighs a lot more than the 25" ES Light. I found you can hang the 462 by the handle bar if the 25" Lightweight guidebar is on it, and it will hang almost level. To me, balance like that is hard to beat, and makes a saw feel lighter than it really is.

That old 25" on the MS360, was so nose heavy, it wore my ass out, felling, and bucking a big maple for my uncle. I sure wish I had took the 261 that day. I was in a hurry though, so thats why I went with that set up. I could have dropped it with a 20", with several well placed cuts.

I was just curious really. I've had the old style 25" for awhile, but that thing weighs a lot more than the 25" ES Light. I found you can hang the 462 by the handle bar if the 25" Lightweight guidebar is on it, and it will hang almost level. To me, balance like that is hard to beat, and makes a saw feel lighter than it really is.

That old 25" on the MS360, was so nose heavy, it wore my ass out, felling, and bucking a big maple for my uncle. I sure wish I had took the 261 that day. I was in a hurry though, so thats why I went with that set up. I could have dropped it with a 20", with several well placed cuts.

The 28" ES lightweight bar is lighter than a 20" standard ES bar. I've never used a 462 with a 28" lightweight for a day in the woods, but I have hoisted one dressed like that and tossed it around a little. If I was gonna run a 462, that's how I'd want it set up in the woods. You guys are talking about balance, which I understand, but for me, whether the tip can reach the ground while my back is straight is another big consideration. A 24" won't, and is almost as heavy as a 28", which will.

The 28" ES lightweight bar is lighter than a 20" standard ES bar. I've never used a 462 with a 28" lightweight for a day in the woods, but I have hoisted one dressed like that and tossed it around a little. If I was gonna run a 462, that's how I'd want it set up in the woods. You guys are talking about balance, which I understand, but for me, whether the tip can reach the ground while my back is straight is another big consideration. A 24" won't, and is almost as heavy as a 28", which will.
Thanks Ryan, you always give sound advice and you help me passed the indecisive problem I deal with.
I'm thinking of getting a 462, anyone not happy with one?
No way! I don't think you will find anyone that doesn't like a 462.

does the roll pin On the oiler, need to be knocked down to support the 28" bar?
I punched the roll pin down on mine when I put a 32" bar on . This pic is show it in use.... removing a Hemlock windfall from a trail near Mt. Saint Helens.

Attachments

• 20190816_102613 (1).jpg
    20190816_102613 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
My 462 has the stock inner bumper spike, and curiosity got me, so I used the outer spike from my MS360 (believe it shares the same part# as my 261 doubles).

Anyway, just had to open up the top screw hole (on the spike). Looks stock, and seems to work just fine. I'm happy with it.

Why didn't you just order the stock outer for the saw so they actually line up ?

It's around 15 bucks..lol.

From what I have seen, in Pacific Northwest WA, the 462 is being sold or dealer configured with 28” ES Light Bar, full wrap handle, oversized chain cover, two spike plates. This saw is rapidly displacing 362 in the field. Climbers and ground crews are both thrilled with it here.

As far as chain, I am in the process of trying to find out if I like the 33 RMF vs 33 RSF. RMF is usually not in stock but but easily ordered.

PNW is fat fir, hemlock, big leaf maple, western red. And skinnier cherry, alder, madrona, and others. Common to bury the bar here.

@dstrick What have you learned about the RMF chain that is different than RSF? Why would I consider changing? Thanks
I have not used it yet on a wood pile or bucking. It is supposed to hold cutting edge better on dirty wood. Cutting performance starts out lower than RS profile but remains consistent longer and doesn’t fall off as fast. Either way it is quality chain so I have it In hand ready to try. Plenty of posts about RS vs RM for review.

$8.95 here. I was gonna ask the same thing but I get in enough trouble.

I'm a fan of the 064 dawgs on the 2 I have, gotta buy the west coast cover to use any of the big dawgs on this model, they work on the standard clutch cover and line up correctly but you gotta give the outer dawg a rub..I know..it's weird.

$8.95 here. I was gonna ask the same thing but I get in enough trouble.
No worries, speak freely! I'm going to get the west coast set for mine.

I'm a fan of the 064 dawgs on the 2 I have, gotta buy the west coast cover to use any of the big dawgs on this model, they work on the standard clutch cover and line up correctly but you gotta give the outer dawg a rub..I know..it's weird.
You have any pics of the 064 "Bumper Spikes" on a 462 ? I'm not sure about dogs hanging on my saw :D

Latest posts

Back