Bar size for Stihl farm boss 041

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravedigger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had an older 041 given to me but it only has a 16" bar. What size bar will it run and not abuse it. The 041 will only be used when my other saws won't do. My MS261 and MS290 have a 18's. I need longer bar sometimes.

That saw is about 60cc (61) so it would be very happy with a 20" 3/8' pitch bar/chain.

I've run as long as a 30" bar on a saw that size but it was just for the very occasional cut. 25" would be ok for the occasional use you described. Keep the chain sharp and don't push it too hard. If you are going to regularly be cutting 2' wood then you may want to get a larger saw. What you have with a longer bar will do what you described as your intended usage.

Noodling will be the main use for the 041. Need recommendations on a 22, 24or 25 inch bar and chain. Probably prefer 22 but looks like more options with 24". Feel 20 too short for my use.

My preferred noodling saw at present is my 039 with 28" bar, full skip chain. I like a bar long enough to keep the power head back away from the wood so the shavings can fall clear. I have my 040 (predecessor to the 041) set up with a hard-nose 20" bar and RD (carbide tooth) chain for stump and dirty wood cutting.

I personally like the 22" length too. I can stand straight up and just miss the ground with the bar tip bucking wood laying on the ground. Sounds like an ideal length for an 041 but then if its your big saw for cutting big wood I'd probably want a 24" for that big of wood and larger. Carlton,Cannon and I think Forester have 22" Stihl,not many others make it. I have a Cannon solid nose.058 ga. 3/8 22" I run on my 046 about 1/2 hour. The chain really got hot though at those rpm's so I was saving it for an O41 or something like that runs slower rpm. I could part with it if I could get its worth out of it. I also have an old Windsor sprocket tip I usually run on an 044. Both were originally Husky mount I had milled to fit Stihl.

20" would be about ideal imo.

I would say a 24 inch would be max for a 041. i had one and i ran a 18 on mine and it had a lot of grunt to go threw wood. So anything from 18 to 20 would be ideal for it.

He already is running 2 18" saws. If he's cutting say a 25" tree into firewood I would much prefer standing on 1 side and getting the job done from basically 1 position. I hate having to march around and crawl over logs to cut through them, especially if they are elevated say maybe leaning on other trees or stout tops. Granted it will pull the smaller bar easier, but I'd rather let the tool work harder and my body less. He asked what size bar will it run and not abuse the saw. Actually I think you would be within reason with a 28" skiptooth chain, provided your not pushing it long hours in hot weather or using it everyday for professional logging. The longer bar does make it safer in the situations I mentioned also.

My logsplitter won't split the big logs and have to use a chainsaw. I'm just using it for firewood personally.

My logsplitter won't split the big logs and have to use a chainsaw. I'm just using it for firewood personally.
You will be absolutely fine with a 24" skip tooth if you start to notice her slowing down don't start pushing just pull out n sharpen. I use a 12v sthil sharpener with a skookum pitch gauge and adjustable fence on it I made out of a manual file gauge. Instead of a hand file any day lol

For firewood, hardwood that is, I went with a 20" running 3/8" chain. Seems to balance nicely to me. I have never personally seen a 22" bar, but lot's of 24". I think 24 is too much in hardwood if you intend to bury the bar.

Back