Bar Studs Stripped Out Of Case......How To Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those studextractors/installers are the better ones.
Pulled many threaded rocker studs with them.

Somewhere i have some threaded collets just for what you be doin.

I got one of these Wixy angle gauges for cutting compound miter angles. If I was squaring a saw on the drill press I would have used it for the job. Ya put it on the table then zero it and then set it on the work and get the work piece zeroed. It is a handy tool.
Nice Job!
http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/

IMG_2493_zpsksq7pjpp.jpg

Just putting it out there, Mastermind; I'm thinking of this like the old gear problem. Given the sympathetic orientation of the threaded surfaces the way this repair is done now, could this repair be improved upon if the threads in the 2095 case had been made left-handed and you cut left male threads on a binding post barrel with a low-profile head? If I had square access to a case halve's innards, I would want to machine a countersunk recess to accept the head and an o-ring from the inside.

11103587_hr4c.jpg
11103527_hr4c.jpg

Fullscreen-capture-6192010-13028-PM.bmp.jpg

I didn't like the idea of maybe slipping the part inside my collet. I like my collets........a lot.

The stud extractor can be used as a stud installer too. :)

I use my lathe tail stock to start taps all the time.
Put the tap loosely in your tail stock chuck, spin the part as slow as possible, leave the tailstock unlocked from the bed and push it into the part. Once it starts to bite it will pull the tail stock along, the tap will spin in the chuck before you break it or spin the part in the collet.

I run taps in the lathe just as srcarr does... when you reverse you should pull a little on the tailstock so the tap doesn't much the first thread trying to push the tailstock.

In this case (no pun intended) I'd have considered using a press-in stud.. I think the Husky 61's had them.. no threads in the case, and the square back of the studs could have a little bar welded between them to make sure they don't budge.

Looks really good and should hold well!

Just a stupid question, why not use an epoxy resin instead of the loctite?

I thought about that........sorta thought the thinner Loctite might be better about getting, and staying down in the threads. I thought the epoxy might just be pushed out when I assembled it all.

Latest posts

Back