Bar wear question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_289

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but why is the nose of this chainsaw bar wearing grooves like this? I bought this saw used but the bar doesnt appear to have a lot of use on it. I flip the bar everytime I switch chains but dont remember seeing this until tonight. I dont let the chain get loose and i dont think I'm running it too tight but apparently I'm doing something wrong. Haven't noticed this kind of wear on my other bars.
cab3229ff2c14f12b35125c52a210c0f.jpg
1512332bd6507a898d866a1a0cef3616.jpg
9716b885e341ea75a7c92a4f1115c291.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Guess i don't know,may be normal for stihl laminates as mine do about the same. A loose chain will slap that area when coming around the nose and wear in deeper then that prematurely if you go long with it loose.
What your showing i resurface with a wheel grinder and take the burrs off the side. Not the best way to do it but it works for me.

That’s quite common on bars that have seen a lot of use and didn’t die from some other cause. Just keep dressing the rails and flipping the bar occasionally until it no longer cuts straight or the nose fails.

I have plenty of bars in worse shape than that. I dress them up best I can and reserve them for firewood bucking. If the die who cares! I save the nice bars for more delicate work.

Latest posts

Back