Baraboo WI Antique and Vintage saw competition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I organize the antique and vintage contest at Baraboo Wisconsin. We've been having this contest since 1999. There are 5 classes.
Antique 2-man, Antique geardrive, vintage 5cu and under, vintage 5cu and up, vintage hotsaw. We use 1979 as the limit for vintage, so if the saw began production in 1979, but was actually produced in 1981, it still qualifies. The antiques are a little vague. The 2 man saws have been saws such as Mac 7-55, Mall 7, Disston. We don't want an 090 with a double ended bar competing in this class. There have been 090G's in the geardrive class. This year there will be 10X10 cottonwood for the vintage classes. The geardrives will cut a round log about 15". The 2-man saws will be cutting something between 20" and 29" This event is held at the Badger Steam and Gas Engine Show near Baraboo WI on Saturday August 18th at 12:00 noon. See the website for maps and info on the Steam show.
http://www.badgersteamandgas.com/
Contact me for info on the saw contest.
There is a 200+ saw display Friday through Sunday. We can make demonstration cuts whenever we want. There is plenty of wood to cut.
Scott

Scott.

I will be there with a few saws. I plan on having a few gear drives. If the age is in question then let me know.

Bill

Glad to hear you'll both be there again. Bill, the saws you brought last year were fine. The 3100 and 090G fit right in. Steve, about the Dolmar 120 Dave brought last year. If it's a plain 120, 61cc, Acres site lists "late seventies" for beginning production, it qualifies. The 120 super and si, both 68cc, began in '86 and '87 so they wouldn't qualify as '79 and older.
Scott

I will have the 090G and hopefully the 3100G. I may bring along a few more: Mac 2-10G , Stihl 041G and Homelite 770GS. As for direct drives I will bring a 820 saw. I have a Dolmar/Wankel but it is not running good.

Bill

We got rained out today. It started raining at 10am, and hasn't stopped as of 4pm. We will try again tomorrow. The forecast is for scattered showers on Sunday, so we will start the contest whenever there is a break in the weather, as early as 10am, as late as 2 or 3.
Scott

I might see you all around tomorrow. Go to come back up there and drive the truck and trailer home. Left the wife there to tend to things. Kind of worked out good too. Had a sick cow that needed work everyday. See you all tomorrow.
Bob

Well, we have to cancel for this year. I was at the show grounds at 9pm, and it's a mess. Standing water everywhere, the roads are muddy ruts, or potholes in the gravel. It's supposed to rain all night, and scattered showers tomorrow. I might be around for some of the day making some cuts if it isn't raining too bad, but the competition is canceled. We'll try again next year.
Scott

Can you reschedule later this year? Maybe in a few weeks?
I couldn't have made it, but I'd love to show up.

I got my fingers crossed hopeing it does not rain like this for our show in 3 weeks. With all this rain and our show grounds right next to the river I would be worried about getting washed away.
Bob

That is a shame the show was canceled. I wish their were shows like that around Georgia I could go to.

We're not going to reschedule, it would be too hard to get everyone together again with all this old equipment. Here are some pics of the saws and truck of Paul from Desoto. He specializes in 2-man saw, especially Malls.
Scott

Drove over there, saw the mud, kept going.

Well, there's a show in Edgerton in a couple of weeks. Maybe the rainy season will be over by then.

Scott,
I replied to your PM. For others that are into the old goodies. Pecatonica Valley Antique club will host a antique tractor show on the 8,9 of September. We are located at Darlington, WI. Which is located about 75 miles from the show grounds up to Baraboo. We do have a small but hopefully growing fleamarket. If you know anyone that needs something to do that weekend feel free to get in touch with me or send them our way. Will will be featuring John Deere.
Thanks
Bob

Scott,

As the years go by chances are mother nature will rule. It did this year. No one can control that. On a personal note, the Baraboo trip is our only vaction each year. I plan for it 1 year in advance. I was quite disheartened as we were not able to run. I understand rescheduling is tough but if a later date is set in SW WI you may be able to get a good turnout. I fully understand hunting and trapping seasons play into it. I am not sure what your hunting nand trapping seasons are there. We are normally done trapping here in the south by 5th of December. We trap beaver after that but not until a good ice cover has been formed which is after the 1st of the year

Bill

We're not going to reschedule, it would be too hard to get everyone together again with all this old equipment. Here are some pics of the saws and truck of Paul from Desoto. He specializes in 2-man saw, especially Malls.
Scott
That guy's old "Binder" is not a spring chicken either.

Scott,

Is there any chance of running at the Mineral Point tractor show this weekend?

Bill

I wouldn't have time to get it together for that. I won't even be able to get the wood cleaned up and put away until this weekend. The show grounds are still muddy today.
Scott

Bill,
I will try to give you a call in the next night or so. Mineral Point would not be a good choice. Very small show.
I talked to the club tonight here in darlington. The way it sounds I could do about what ever I wanted for a competition here. Scott I think the idea we talked about last night would be a good choice to get some thing rolling here. the way it sounds we could go from the vintage on to the newer saws. But , it would be for next yr something of that size. I mentioned to them I will take in some saws this yr and do demos on and off if nothing else comes about. It seems like some of the members were willing to supply the wood even.
Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back