Baraboo WI Old saw display / contest

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I organize the antique and vintage contest at Baraboo Wisconsin. We've been having this contest since 1999. There are 5 classes.
Antique 2-man, Antique geardrive, vintage 5cu and under, vintage 5cu and up, vintage hotsaw. We use 1979 as the limit for vintage, so if the saw began production in 1979, but was actually produced in 1981, it still qualifies. The antiques are a little vague. The 2 man saws have been saws such as Mac 7-55, Mall 7, Disston. We don't want an 090 with a double ended bar competing in this class. There have been 090G's in the geardrive class. This year there will be 10X10 cottonwood for the vintage classes. The geardrives will cut a round log about 15". The 2-man saws will be cutting something between 20" and 29" This event is held at the Badger Steam and Gas Engine Show near Baraboo WI on Saturday August 16th at 12:00 noon. See the website for maps and info on the Steam show.
http://www.badgersteamandgas.com/
Contact me for info on the saw contest.
There is a 200+ saw display Friday through Sunday. We can make demonstration cuts whenever we want. There is plenty of wood to cut.
Scott

Gentlemen, if you are within 200 miles of Baraboo (check a map, it can be hard to find) it's the Big show. You will see more old equipment and steam powered contraptions than at any other show in WIsconsin.

And this show beats out Edgerton (down towards Janesville way) which is also pretty darn impressive.

I guess I should forget the car show in Madison and head up to Baraboo this weekend.

PS when is the show in Edgerton? I live about 20 miles west of there. Just curious.

Thanks
Chris

The show in Edgerton is the Rock River Thresheree and is always Labor day weekend. It is located between Janesville and Edgerton on Hwy 51. If you want to see steam traction engines this is where to go. This year we will have 20-25 threshing machines going at once. One time running with steam engines and once with gas tractors both times on Sat. with a rain day on Sun. For more info go to Rock River thresheree.org and Baraboo is also a very very nice show.

edgerton also has a steam powered piledriver. That is very impressive.

and a lot of steam engines.

I will be sitting up in the Flea market again this yr on Thursday. I am leaving the wife there to sell till I get back up there Saturday. Hope to see you all again.
on another note Bill G and I are trying to get a little show going down here in darlington on sept 7. I will bring my thread to the top.
Later all
Bob

Bob,

I will stop by your booth Friday. Bring some saws to run Saturday.

Bill

Question?

Scott, or anyone else with some experience at Baraboo...I am planning to come up with a truck load of saws, I was hoping to use the truck for my display (I built a sort of cover for the box to serve as a display rack).

Will this be a problem? I don't really have any other way to display them at an event such at this but looking at the guidlines it says that "empty truck and trailers" have to be removed from the sight.

Mark

Bill,
I will be ther eon Saturday farm calls till then. I should say hopefully be there then. A new heifer got a good piece of me tonight.
So, catch you all then
Bob

Hi Mark, I'm glad you can make it. The "parking police" seem to leave us alone most of the time. It shouldn't be a problem to display them on your truck.
Bob, you better be more careful around that fresh heifer next time. I hope she settles down. The weather forecast for the weekend is dry and low 80's yeehaw!
Scott

Well guys, I am still alive after the whoopin I got last night. Got the wife settled in this afternoon up there. I will be back up Saturday I hope before noon.
Scott, Thanks for the tip on the parts next door. They got them loaded up in the truck.
Bob

Pictures from Friday, 15 August

Here are a few photo's from the first day, no action shots yet but I will try to get a few during the day Saturday.

attachment.php

James Shiminiok (sp?) brought a BP-1, ran for a little bit then would not restart

attachment.php

More of James' collection, he only brought the Homelites this year, McCullochs last year

attachment.php

Some of the two man saws across the aisle

attachment.php

Scott's saws on display

attachment.php

I could only fit 14 in my Ranger pick up

Mark

Bill was tellin me about that show. It looks like a lot of fun. That BP1 and that mac hot saw are sweeeet. Heck even the venue looks nice. How many saws were actually doing some cutting.

Latest posts

Back