Barber chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpeg
HaHaHa.

Those Ratchet Straps we spoke of earlier are lighter, much lighter, & do the job: you were using them when I was still in diapers, so I'd venture a guess that you already know this.

2 Rings & A Flattop, LLC Test Dummy
Thats a much better idea using a rachet strap than chain and binder for the reasons you mentioned. It also takes much more force to tighten a load binder than it does a ratchet strap.
How come no one has asked me what the hell Im doing in this picture?

View attachment 550244
Thats a much better idea using a rachet strap than chain and binder for the reasons you mentioned. It also takes much more force to tighten a load binder than it does a ratchet strap.

Hanging a clothes line for your buddy Paul?

View attachment 550244
Looks like you are trying to save a peeler .

This is a heavy leaning sycamore tree I recently cut while doing some volunteer disaster relief work in Gatlinburg TN after the recent wild fire. The tree was leaning, 90 to 100' tall, and had been 54" in dia. It was hollow up the middle and 2/3 of the base was rotten/burnt/gone. I'm an electrician by trade, not a logger. I have learned a lot from this site, reading books, and watching videos. I had to really think hard on this before I cut it. It needed to miss some power lines and not damage two other nearby trees. It went within 10' of the way I was aiming it. View attachment 550131 The stump measured 54" one way by 12' + or - the other way.
Excellent drop there, VW. I was over in Gatlinburg too, after they opened it up. I didn't have to drop anything like that, though. That looks sketchy as heck.

This is a heavy leaning sycamore tree I recently cut while doing some volunteer disaster relief work in Gatlinburg TN after the recent wild fire. The tree was leaning, 90 to 100' tall, and had been 54" in dia. It was hollow up the middle and 2/3 of the base was rotten/burnt/gone. I'm an electrician by trade, not a logger. I have learned a lot from this site, reading books, and watching videos. I had to really think hard on this before I cut it. It needed to miss some power lines and not damage two other nearby trees. It went within 10' of the way I was aiming it. View attachment 550131 The stump measured 54" one way by 12' + or - the other way.
Can you share with us what you did to control the fall? Or if others who have dealt with these can comment too that would be great.

image.jpeg
Cinching it up so it won't split?

Looks like you are trying to save a peeler .
Bingo!
I paid 750.00 for that cherry tree, plus 15,000 for the other 23 trees I bought in that particular bush.
The cherry had a double crown, so when it hits the ground or catches another tree on the way down it can split from crown to butt.
As an added precaution I stay with the tree and saw off most if not all holding wood once the tree is committed. That way the tree can roll off the stump with little or no fibre pull.
Bitzer is gonna give me heck for posting these 17 year old pics, and you can't really blame him. Lol

Bingo!
I paid 750.00 for that cherry tree, plus 15,000 for the other 23 trees I bought in that particular bush.
The cherry had a double crown, so when it hits the ground or catches another tree on the way down it can split from crown to butt.
As an added precaution I stay with the tree and saw off most if not all holding wood once the tree is committed.
Do you gut the faces on the peelers to prevent fiber pulling ?

Well, looking at Gypo Loggers picture I maybe better do something different with the big cherry that fell over in the bush this past summer. What length would you cut a peeler 8'-4"? They are logging up the road from me right now, looks like they are removing pretty much every ash tree even small 8" stuff.

Yep. It was a shagbark in the picture but really the same difference. Hickory is by far the worst splitting tree. Followed by white oak and then ash.
Would have thought red oak much more prone than white oak? Black locust would be way up there on my list although not often cut commercially

Would have thought red oak much more prone than white oak? Black locust would be way up there on my list although not often cut commercially

I would have thought Red more so than White, but I'm just a hack.

Agree here as well. Although maybe it has to do with crown shape of the white wanting to go in all directions?

I'm confusing density with strength.
Red sometimes acts like a sponge, & can be a bit stringy, therefore I'm assuming more flexible.

I'm confusing density with strength.
Red sometimes acts like a sponge, & can be a bit stringy, therefore I'm assuming more flexible.

yes, but a clean pc of red oak is the straightest and easiest thing I know of to split with a maul, maybe even more so than ash. Hickories have me bumfuzzled, they are not usually easy to split from a round but no doubt about their propensity to fall apart in tree form. Even a clear pc of white oak is string, at least around here

IMG_2986 (1).JPG [QUOTE="svk, post: 6116640,

There was not a lot to work with to control that one. Standing behind the lean, the long thin trunk ran with the lean front to back. The huge hollow and missing 2/3 of the trunk made a natural super large face cut and sort of a hinge. looking from the back the tree, hinge would make it fall to the left and the lean would make it want to fall straight ahead. I was hoping, and praying for sort of a combination of the two. I cut the hinge down super thin on the front side so there would not be much holding it on that side. Then cut it like it was a regular face cut and back cut, keeping the compression side of the hinge thin, and the back side thicker hoping, and praying some more, it would hold a little longer as it started to fall. I really thought it would fall as soon as I started cutting the back cut. You can see by the picture of the stump, I did a lot of cutting before it let go. It went within 10' of where I was aiming, and praying for. All that praying, it's good to have the guy that invented gravity helping you out.

Latest posts

Back