Barberchair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Calks, Ron, get some calks. Guaranteed to improve your cutting 100 %. :laugh:

Want to look like a logger? Try to limp a little when you walk, look just slightly pissed off all the time, learn to use snoose, start every third sentence with "those damn environmentalists......", shave twice a week if you feel like it, develop a taste for 7-11 coffee and donettos, and drive a rig that's about the same color as the ground you're working so the dust will hide the dents.
Don't wash your clothes too often 'cause the accumulated layers of dirt and sweat and saw oil and wood chips and coffee spill and donetto crumbs will make them almost waterproof when the rains come.

That's all I can think of right now. Anybody got more ideas?

Limp - sometimes; if I had calks I would bust a leg on the concrete and limp all the time. Look - Check. Unshaven - 1 out of 7. Dirt color rig - Always. Unwashed clothes - Check. Waterproof layers - 4 out of 6.

Have a notebook aka.... your "Brain" crammed in your front shirt pocket with the number to all the area mills, equipment dealers, mechanics, parts houses, potential jobs etc............... and about 4-7 pop bottles rolling around the floorboard a third full of 'baccer spit. And the mandatory tailgate and truck bumper that will NEVER rust cause of all the bar oil, diesel, hyd. oil, and 2 cycle that has been spilled on it. Gologit purty much summed it up!

Rust proof tailgate - Check.

Skills and experience worth a tinker's dam - Nope.

Ron

Some nice country and cutting in this clip. For another barberchair, jump to around 730/or 745. Kinda thinking that might have been the last tree for a certain stihl. Dump it and run! Saws are cheap.
Missing clip?...

2014-03-05 07.55.22.jpg 2014-03-05 07.55.01.jpgI'm not sure if I posted these pictures right. We were taking down 98 red gum eucs with heavy leans towards the road. We had to put some pretty serious pull on them to get them going the right way. It only took a couple tries to figure out we couldn't cut through from the back without having the trees split out and fall willy nilly. Not quite a full barber chair but you can see the trunk slivered up a good ten feet and then closed up again on the ground. I started using a plunge cut to set up a thick strap of holding wood and then triggered it from behind. The other 96 went fine. :) 2014-03-05 07.55.01.jpg 2014-03-05 07.55.22.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-03-11 10.09.27.jpg
    2014-03-11 10.09.27.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 23
Have given up trying to persuade belligerent red gums. Too many less than happy endings. Until I learn more, it's just gut the heart and ask it very gently if it wouldn't mind taking a few steps to the left or right for me on the way down if it feels like that might be a good thing.

Fortunately yes, it was a hung up shattered blowdown, so no chance of an undercut. If I recall correctly I choked it tight with the skidder and finished the cut and winched it down. Most of the butt log ended up as firewood.

At least the butt piece was already nicely split for the firewood!

I have a big (40" butt excluding bark?) douglas fir that's REALLY leaning over a road, most of the root is hanging in the air because it's on a steep bank.. it's going to be a very fun one to get down.. I'm hoping to be able to coax it to lay along the road, but I'm not going to bet any money on that!

At least the butt piece was already nicely split for the firewood!

I have a big (40" butt excluding bark?) douglas fir that's REALLY leaning over a road, most of the root is hanging in the air because it's on a steep bank.. it's going to be a very fun one to get down.. I'm hoping to be able to coax it to lay along the road, but I'm not going to bet any money on that!

Pics before the cut (chair) as the case maybe ?

Back