barberchair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a good video on leaners. Pretty sure no notch was cut on first example.

Bottom line, it explains the forces involved, and why the bore cut is the right way to go on leaners to avoid the barber chair.

I'd recommend you stop with that, but if you are really curious and want to follow this into a treatise on backleaners, there's a couple more that are good; pretty technical and maybe a little slow, but good. Mostly it just shows what forces and challenges are required, and why professional help and expensive gear is needed for backleaners.

This one shows the amount of gear you would need to buy to get properly set up to deal with a backleaner if you are only interested inp a takedown from the ground...

That will be your reason...

When I'm cutting trees on an angle like that I use a bore cut and holding strap at the back. Cut your notch like normal, although it doesn't have to be as deep as usual. Then plunge cut into the centre of the tree, cut foward to form a hinge and back, leaving a strap of wood at the back. Remove the saw, get ready on your escape path, cut the holding wood from the back and get out of the way :D

As your hinge is formed before the tree starts to fall you dont have the situation where you are racing to get the cut exactly right before it starts to move.

Cheers

Ian
Its basically the compression vs tension wood, if you bore cut, you sever where tension becomes compression, and eliminate the barber chair. End of story.

Doesn't tension become compression in the neutral plane?
Bore cutting shifts that neutral plane. It doesn't eliminate it.

Doesn't tension become compression in the neutral plane?
Bore cutting shifts that neutral plane. It doesn't eliminate it.
i disagree. I do believe it eliminates a barberchair. Ive never seen a barberchair after a bore cut. Ever. Maybe you have an example that im not aware of?

I don't know what we are disagreeing about.
Elimininating the majority of the tension wood with a bore cut shifts the neutral plane (compression meets tension) to the hinge wood.
Could a bore cut result in a barberchair if an excessively thick hinge were left? I dunno.

Elimininating the majority of the tension wood with a bore cut shifts the neutral plane (compression meets tension) to the hinge wood.
Could a bore cut result in a barberchair if an excessively thick hinge were left? I dunno.
Maybe. As could a poorly cut face notch. With a "step" in the flush cut. Ya dig?

If you left to wide of a hinge then you did it wrong.

If you left to wide of a hinge then you did it wrong.
I think Pelorus (" s' " ? )comment was more of hypothetical statement.

A lad watches a youtube video on bore cutting,-> "i can do that. No problem." resulting in poor pratice. As is my example of the bad face. (heavy learner, TOP heavy)

My original statement was more assuming that the practice was implemented properly, thereby, in my opinion, eliminating a barberchair.

Two seperate set of circumstances, me thinks.

Yeah, it was hypothetical.
shallow notch closing up tight before the hingewood could break might also cause sadness with a heavy leaner.

Latest posts

Back