bark removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullbuck

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i was just wondering,i have seen alot of cutters recently cutting off the bark maybe in a 3 or 4 foot area of the felling area on the tree 360 degrees around it,i can understand cutting the bark away in a small area where you plan to wedge the tree from to keep your wedges from sponging out in the thick bark but cutting all that bark off looks like alot of extra work that a debarker was made for?is there a reason for all of this?or mainly for show

generally large trees 4'and up,"money trees" once at the mill...where i have seen it alot is on a couple heli logging vids on youtube,and it makes a nice clean falling area for sure...but i just wondered about the practicality of shaving the whole butt of the tree...the best faller i have ever met has spent time out in cali.mowin with a 48"before,and he has used the tactic with a few of the "big uns"for here anyways 4'5'foot or so?

I will cut a "bell bottom" off if it is going to interfere with felling or wedging.Makes for a cleaner log and easier to load.
But as for what your are saying,I never seen it so I'm eager to learn.:)

its not butt swell they are trimming off to keep the mill happy,these particular trees that were fell here had all been killed a couple years back from a looper worm outbreak,some of them are pretty big 4'or so,i just wondered if there is anything to learn from clearing away the bark?but i am thinking thats more something fallers are doing when taking alot of pride in their work,and savoring felling a good size tree...i know they did this alot in this area when falling trees with a crosscut saw and axe,i am assuming to reduce drag on the saw

Did a volcano erupt recently in the area of the videos?:) The fallers here had a guy go ahead with an axe to chop off the ashy bark before they fell trees. That was after our eruption. Perhaps today's generation needs mechanization to do the above except then their saws would get dull...:dizzy::greenchainsaw:

Doug Dent was encouraging using this practice at a C-Faller cert I was at a couple of years ago. Not all the way around, but where at the corners of your hinge and where your wedges are going.

Supposedly makes it easier to see your hinge.

Doug Dent was encouraging using this practice at a C-Faller cert I was at a couple of years ago. Not all the way around, but where at the corners of your hinge and where your wedges are going.

Supposedly makes it easier to see your hinge.

:monkey:
Never have any trouble seeing my hinge now...:dizzy:

its not butt swell they are trimming off to keep the mill happy,these particular trees that were fell here had all been killed a couple years back from a looper worm outbreak,some of them are pretty big 4'or so,i just wondered if there is anything to learn from clearing away the bark?but i am thinking thats more something fallers are doing when taking alot of pride in their work,and savoring felling a good size tree...i know they did this alot in this area when falling trees with a crosscut saw and axe,i am assuming to reduce drag on the saw

I've been looking at those same trees, wondering the same thing. Maybe they were getting paid by the hour. :laugh:
I think Rick Roger's crew is the ones who cut that, Rick might be able to tell you if you run into him.

Andy

I've been looking at those same trees, wondering the same thing. Maybe they were getting paid by the hour. :laugh:
I think Rick Roger's crew is the ones who cut that, Rick might be able to tell you if you run into him.

Andy
...haha yeah,ithink you are right"by the hour"is what i was thinking too,i will be carefuful how i ask my questions if i do run into rick.lol

...haha yeah,ithink you are right"by the hour"is what i was thinking too,i will be carefuful how i ask my questions if i do run into rick.lol
talked to rick the other day,sure enough they clear the bark for wedging...could of been just a bit overboard on a couple of those biguns?but it sure looks nice,ricks by far the best i have ever seen.:chainsaw:

I have done it on standing dead trees before. The bark will some times cover rot, termite damage and other defects that it is nice to know about before you commit to facing a dead tree. Also the bark comes of pretty fast and easy.

Latest posts

Back