barrier for pine sap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got done cutting a few pine trees down. Wondering if anybody has applied something to their saws to keep all that sap from getting stuck?

After cleaning the saws up I had even wondered about pam cooking spray..I have tried that on other things for different reasons and thinking this might help. I may try that next time.

There is a product called mo deck that is supposed to keep grass from sticking to the mower deck. I wonder if it would help in this situation.

Car polish / wax on the bar and plastics helps a whole lot. Merely wipe down when done cutting.

Yup...That's my trick, and it keeps the saws looking good as well as easier to clean. 'Round here there's nothing worse than fresh Pinion Pine sap...green trees are just LOADED with it...and it's so sticky your gloves can get so stuck to the saw handles you have to pull yer hands outta the glove and leave them stuck on the saw!
S100 makes a spray wax / detailer for motorcycles (we buy it at the Harley Davidson dealer)...I use it right on the bar, the plastic, and the handles...spray it on thick...and we don't even wipe it off if we are headed to a green Pinion job.

It's not a perfect solution...but it helps.

If your so worried about a saw getting dirty do not use it and it will never get dirty :hmm3grin2orange: I use carb cleaner after cutting sappy trees. One bath a month is all my work saws get, daily bar and chain cleaning and do the air filter.

ATF, on saw and in the bar oil. Diesel in the bar oil is good too.

Randy, what mix ratio did you use with ATF/Diesel to bar lube roughly? We've been in Larch and they gum up the bar and chain something God awful. Been trying to think of something to add to the lube, like your idea - Sam

Plain WD40 works well.

I wonder how mud-off would do? It's a product that dirt oval racers use under their car to keep the mud from sticking.

Red kerosene with bar lube as far as mix ratio depending on how much
sap is in wood. Spraying WD 40 helps also.

Back