Bars/chains And Honey Don't Mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironpig70

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
had a big oak taken down and while walking around the fallen tree saw a swarm of bees. followed them to their hive. well i got the bright idea to cut open the tree to get to the hive and the honey. trust me in the long run its cheaper to buy this stuff then to try and make a small home made batch. any how today i tried to use my saw and the saw ran fine but the chain would not budge. so i pulled down the saw and the chain is nasty and the bar just as nasty. the nose wheel was frozen solid. sprayed some penetrating oil on it and still no go. so i said hell with it and brought it in the house and washed it in the sink in hot water. the heat disolved all the honey and the wheel spins free. cut thru pitchy wood before but nothing compares to honey.

ironpig70 said:
had a big oak taken down and while walking around the fallen tree saw a swarm of bees. followed them to their hive. well i got the bright idea to cut open the tree to get to the hive and the honey. trust me in the long run its cheaper to buy this stuff then to try and make a small home made batch. any how today i tried to use my saw and the saw ran fine but the chain would not budge. so i pulled down the saw and the chain is nasty and the bar just as nasty. the nose wheel was frozen solid. sprayed some penetrating oil on it and still no go. so i said hell with it and brought it in the house and washed it in the sink in hot water. the heat disolved all the honey and the wheel spins free. cut thru pitchy wood before but nothing compares to honey.

I can picture the chain/bar. At leat you solved one of my problems. I just replaced a toilet today and was wondering what to use to clean up the putty knife I used to scrape up the old wax ring. Now I know it is soap/hot water.

Harry K

I know - that happened to me once. I did not have the honey problem, but had to high tail it pronto as the stinging was getting a might painful!

I found out that an old timberjack with a Detroit can't outrun yellow jackets,wish I had a closed cab that day,I just shut the machine off and ran,man did they punish me!

i did all the cutting at dusk when it was around 40 degress bees don't like the cold. now getting out the hive was a differnt matter

ironpig70 said:
i did all the cutting at dusk when it was around 40 degress bees don't like the cold.

Bees + cold = good. Then add warmth = bad!

When I was a kid we were out cutting a christmas tree (handsaw...) and found a nice old hornets nest nearby. Beautiful nest!

So my dad cut the hornets nest from it's roost and put it in the back of our old wood sided stationwagon...

It was nice to get back into the warm stationwagon...for about the first 10 minutes...

Then we noticed 'a' hornet...

Then 'another'... and 'another...

Then our family of 7 bails outta that wagon like rats off a sinking ship!

Chaser

Back