Basic climbing instruction/certification in Illinois?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzkill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings!

So i have reached an impasse. I work for a small municipality with no climbers. I've got all my gear to climb and have been doing it (very low and very slow) and feel i have a solid handle on the basics. Now the forester wants me to have some sort of certification/basic training in work positioning/climbing before i can put this to actual work. I have called the local ISA chapter about programs and searched the internet for such a thing but neither was helpful. at this point i may have to fly out to the east coast to get anything similar. But was curious if anyone here had any recommendations before i do anything drastic like fly 500 miles?
I do storm damage/trimming from an aerial lift and am comfortable with saws and their application, incase that was a concern. I'm just astounded that i haven't found anything yet, any help would be wildly appreciated.

buzz

You have found the same that I did. I've had virtually no luck finding any sort of training locally, aside crime one of my climber buddies. He's good, but I am one for formal training.

Nick

Yeah, i understand that it is a part of a (trade?) so on the job training is a big part of it but i'm suprised theres no minor cert for. this guy can tie the knots has been shown the basics and is ready to begin the grind. eh, such is life i suppose :/.

I think my first question would be, are they going to be paying you extra money for you to start climbing. If its not a pay increase why increase your danger or work load.

Well its dangerous, hard work... I like the idea that your motivated and if you were working for a private company with the chance that it may get you ahead in the company I could understand... but your working for a municipality from the sound of it are not going to compensate you for the training you would be getting or the work you would be doing. The next question you should be asking yourself and them is. If do not have a paid climber position then I would be willing to bet that whoever carries their insurance does not have anything written in for people doing tree work at heights greater then maybe 15 feet off ground. Meaning if you get seriously hurt you could be screwed. Just a thought. But honestly I wish you best of luck...

Latest posts

Back