Batery powered chainsaws - when ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15 amps

Is that all most houses have now? I thought it was 20..either way, oh well. Just happened to notice those reviews (I just like batt tech and portable stuff and alt energy in general) and read a lot of them the pros and cons (biggest con appears to be plastic drive sprocket, but I would think that is more an emergency ID10T failsafe mechanism...or would work that way, I know those are cheap saws) and I couldn't find any more technical details on the poulan site for their plugin. I am not all that curious about their electric motor claims, but maybe you are, shoot them an email or see if you can get a tech there on the phone. I'm not going to run out and buy a new one, nor any of the batt saws, but if I see one for ten or twenty bucks, sure, something to fool with.

I was also thinking of taking a plastic case junker gas saw with a clutch and see what I could do with one of them, with a scrounged AC motor off something. I've got some old junker vacuum cleaners and busted dinky cheap compressors, etc to choose from. maybe, I dunno, got a ton of projects already. Still waiting to find a cheap or free smallish compact tractor to fool with and try and make an electric garden tractor. I have a donor old warehouse ride-on electric sweeper that appears to have roughly a decent set of the stuff I would need for a conversion, at the right size. When I first got told about it, I thought it might be useful for a compact truck conversion, but it is too small for that, but for a small size garden tractor it looks real good. It's a 36 VDC system.

I wonder when fuel saws will get fuel injection and oil injection... or go to ceramic engines.

Remember all the talk of them years ago? They seem to have evaporated. Had a buddy working on them as a subcontractor doing R and D for some tech company which in turn was working for..I forget, I'll say Ford, then he moved away and I lost touch, but he was saying ceramics would allow some amazing advances in engine tech, stuff like no piston rings needed, etc. Dang, long time ago now, musta been in the late 80s I guess. Bwaa! Maybe they worked and were too good....

Latest posts

Back