BB Dolmar/Makita with a difference...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
As many of you are aware I have been getting a few BB kits in from a Chinese supplier. Many of you would also be aware that my favourite saws are my modded Dolmar/Makita 7900's, very closely followed my Snellerized Husky 390XP and Stihl 200T (OH MY GOD, I LIKE 3 BRANDS!!!)...

Yesterday I received 5 x DCS6401 84cc BB kits (plus others) - these are not Bailey's kits, hence the title.

Anyway I have decided to sell the Makita 6401 that Brad modded with my old Mahle 79cc Top End. This saw copped a fair working over with a pop up piston/machined cylinder, triple port muffler, porting, HD filter kit, but most importantly black anodised dogs!
However, there is no way in hell anybody is buying that saw from me and getting that top end.
I will keep my other two "red" Dolmar 7900's because quite simply, I just can't do both blue AND red. Even the blue is hard to deal with despite the Makita becoming my "go to" saw when out cutting. With the pop up it is/was very very impressive.
I've been working some mammoth hours lately but because of the arrival of these kits I "somehow" managed to get home at 6pm tonight instead of my usual 7-8pm!
As most of you would know that have pulled down pro saws the time needed to pull a top end and replace it is quite short. I had this new BB kit on and running in under an hour.
The quality is excellent. I had 11 kits arrive and I went over all of them with a fine toothed comb. No tilted ports, no casting dags, better looking rings than previously (which were brittle and easy to break), good piston to cylinder fit etc etc. Port timing aside they look top notch (I just don't "do" timing - I'll leave that to the guys who know what they're doing in that regard).

Two of the kits were 066/660 BB kits which look to be different to my previous 066/660 BB kits. They look to have fixed the freeporting exhaust issue of the last two kits which was a concern with Brad when I sent a kit to him. I also received a 046/460 BB kit, 2 x 395XP BB kits, a 372XP BB kit, plus the Dolmar BB kits.

Anyway, here's some photos of the kit...

DSCF1356.jpg

DSCF1357.jpg

DSCF1364.jpg

DSCF1367.jpg

DSCF1368.jpg

DSCF1366.jpg

DSCF1365.jpg

DSCF1360.jpg

DSCF1363.jpg

I also had a good look at the Mahle setup as I pulled it off just to see if there were any issues. None at all apart from a bit of carbon. It looks to have been a bit rich but that's fine by me. Heaps of oil on the piston and in the bottom end (I run ALCO full synthetic at 50:1)...

DSCF1385.jpg

DSCF1386.jpg

DSCF1383.jpg

DSCF1384.jpg

Anyway, here's a few piccys of it getting pulled down and back together...

DSCF1370.jpg

DSCF1380.jpg

DSCF1381.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and what have we here? That's right. Bloody choke - forgot to put it back on...

DSCF1390.jpg

DSCF1388.jpg

Also notice the pin circlips. They were nice and tight and not the "dog ear" type. They are the same as the standard Mahle clips...

DSCF1387.jpg

DSCF1389.jpg

DSCF1391.jpg

Once back together I checked squish with some solder (I didn't use a base gasket). Now I just shifted house and can't find my calipers yet but squish looked ample and not too tight. Took the saw outside the shed and after a few pulls (I hadn't touched the tune) it started fine and broke into a nice idle. Unfortunately I don't have a stock muffler so had put the old 3 port back on it. I'm sure it needs a better tune but as it was it ran fine and revved nicely. Throttle response was excellent.
After a few minutes the idle dropped a bit so will need to be raised. After about 1/4 of a tank just blipping the throttle and idling I turned it off and checked the compression. It hit 165 psi before the knot in the pull start came undone so that was that, I called it a day. I'll run a few tanks through it this weekend and then recheck the compression. Bit too early to tell but am hoping to see maybe 175-180 psi.
There was no problems fitting the kit at all and everything was where it should be.
Once I'm confident it will hold together I'll stick it on eBay :)
The 372XP BB kit and another one of the Dolmar BB kits was shipped off to Will Parris this morning. Hopefully he finds them up to scratch as well.

Last edited:
As I really like my blue7900 stock have a 6401 I've been thinking about the BBkit. Unless I've missed it has anyone done a real comparison.

I think a few guys have. From memory they have said that the BB kit seems torquier and has a bit deeper exhaust note. In all honesty if I had both the stock Mahle kit and the BB kit sitting on a table you'd be mad not to grab the Mahle. When cost comes into it though the BB kits look far more tempting :cheers:

Oh and some piccys of the HD filter kit. This filter hasn't been cleaned since before my Tasmania trip a few months back. Check out the rest of the dust on the saw including Redgum dust then check out the filter element. This setup is good and as far as air injection goes, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. My 390XP/XPG will clog up far earlier than the Dolmar setups...

DSCF1371.jpg

DSCF1372.jpg

Last edited:
That BB kit looks a lot better than the two I tried. Is the price on them going up in response to the quality improvements? I'm still fishing for a cheap 6401 to work on and might consder a third try on the chicom stuff, since I don't earn a living with my saws. I know the first Japanese car I had was junk, look at em now.

Looks like your equipment gets a fair amount of hard work. What kind of weather do you work in, do you cut in HOT temperatures?

That BB kit looks a lot better than the two I tried. Is the price on them going up in response to the quality improvements? I'm still fishing for a cheap 6401 to work on and might consder a third try on the chicom stuff, since I don't earn a living with my saws. I know the first Japanese car I had was junk, look at em now.

Looks like your equipment gets a fair amount of hard work. What kind of weather do you work in, do you cut in HOT temperatures?

No my cost on the kits has stayed the same regardless of any increase in quality. The only issue in regard to getting them from Australia to the US is our current exchange rate which means I can't get them there as cheap as I could of a few months back :(
Yeah I do cut in a lot of warmer temperatures. Put it this way, I'll give up and go home well before the saws will :) Ive cut in temps around 115°f but it ain't fun at all.

Awesome Matt, can't wait to get them. I'm afraid to run that 7900 bb, it might become my new favorite saw!! Over the 371.

Oh no we wouldn't want that to happen Will :D Have you got the HD filter kit on your saw yet? That'll help move the 371 to the back of the shed (P.S. I'm waiting for a flaming from Al on that one!)

Looking good Matt. Do you have a new 660 in your posession yet?

No not yet but waiting like a kid at christmas. Every time the postal guy walks into work I get a bit excited but then I realise that I have to contain my excitement and look manly because he bats for the other team if you know what I mean...

Casting quality looks fine Matt.

Yeah it looks really good Rick. It looks better than fine Rick, in fact it looks right dandy :D These last lot of kits are faultless to the eye and I hope they remain that way in the saws.

Last edited:
[snip]
(P.S. I'm waiting for a flaming from Al on that one!)

No doubt about that :laugh:

Every time the postal guy walks into work I get a bit excited but then I realise that I have to contain my excitement and look manly because he bats for the other team if you know what I mean...

[snip]

Hahahahahaha, have you ever considered he might prefer his fella's more 'manly', you big hunk of man you :p

:ices_rofl:

Oh no we wouldn't want that to happen Will :D Have you got the HD filter kit on your saw yet? That'll help move the 371 to the back of the shed (P.S. I'm waiting for a flaming from Al on that one!)

Pfffft! I'm still running the original filter that came with the 371 14 years ago. No need to replace it if it's still filtering flawlessly...;)

I think a few guys have. From memory they have said that the BB kit seems torquier and has a bit deeper exhaust note. In all honesty if I had both the stock Mahle kit and the BB kit sitting on a table you'd be mad not to grab the Mahle. When cost comes into it though the BB kits look far more tempting :cheers:

Oh and some piccys of the HD filter kit. This filter hasn't been cleaned since before my Tasmania trip a few months back. Check out the rest of the dust on the saw including Redgum dust then check out the filter element. This setup is good and as far as air injection goes, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. My 390XP/XPG will clog up far earlier than the Dolmar setups...

DSCF1371.jpg

DSCF1372.jpg

Im having problems with the hd filters breaking off at the base on my 7900.Ive went threw 2 in a month of cutting everyday. I reglued the last one and it has been holding up for 2 months.The hd kit works well but air injection is just as good on the 385 and 390s.

Last edited:
Im having problems with the hd filters breaking off at the base on my 7900.Ive went threw 2 in a month of cutting everyday. I reglued the last one and it has been holding up for 2 months.The hd kit works well but air injection is just as good on the 385 and 390s.

The DolMak HD filters are breaking off? Can't have that!

We are finding the 385 and up filters for some reason aren't filtering like the 372 and possibly down.

Hahahahahaha, have you ever considered he might prefer his fella's more 'manly', you big hunk of man you :p

:ices_rofl:

Get back to your Barista mate Rick :)

Will....cut that crap out!

Is there anyone up there who can give Will a slap about the noggin to bring him back to his senses?

Heh heh...

Pfffft! I'm still running the original filter that came with the 371 14 years ago. No need to replace it if it's still filtering flawlessly...;)

Yeah the 371/372 sized Huskys seem to be where their ability to keep out the good old Redgum dust ceases...

Interesting. I haven't had any issues with mine and a couple of those saws have seen a fair few hours. I gather the paper element is coming away from the plastic base?
The issues we have on our woods is the finer particles like dead Redgum etc. Without filter oil the dust goes straight through the filter media on my 390's, 3120, 5100-S, and the standard 7900 filters. The only pro saw I've got that keeps it out without oiling the filter is the Dolmar HD kits.

Last edited:
Interesting. I haven't had any issues with mine and a couple of those saws have seen a fair few hours. I gather the paper element is coming away from the plastic base?
The issues we have on our woods is the finer particles like dead Redgum etc. Without filter oil the dust goes straight through the filter media on my 390's, 3120, 5100-S, and the standard 7900 filters. The only pro saw I've got that keeps it out without oiling the filter is the Dolmar HD kits.
Yes thats whats happening the paper is coming off of the plastic.The filter does work pretty good after i glued them though. my dealer talked to the rep but the rep didnt do much for me.Iknow what your saying about most saws leaking saw dust trough the filter and i dont see that with the hd 7900 filter.

Ahh, just put in a order from Baileys a couple days ago, and ordered the HD kit for the Kita.

Will....cut that crap out!

Is there anyone up there who can give Will a slap about the noggin to bring him back to his senses?

Ahh, sorry sir, won't happen again. LOL :chainsawguy:

Back