BB Dolmar/Makita with a difference...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a short video. Wood is very very hard (and very very nice) Acacia so I picked the worst piece I could to hack into as the rest will be used for woodturning and milling. Chain is sharp and well set up Carlton Semi Chisel. The bar is an adapted ECHO 20" .050" hard nose and you can thank Wayne (gmax) for that. He gave me two of these bars that he picked up somewhere. A 4" grinder and 1mm disc had the 8.2mm slot fitting snugly on the 9mm studs in no time - Thanks Wayne :cheers:
This thing has quite a bit of torque and you can tell it's still very tight. The instant you hit the kill switch it stops and it is still quite hard to pull over. Every bit as hard (or harder) as the previous 200psi compression top end however I know this kit isn't pulling compressions like that. Just needs more run time...
It's still fitted with the old triple port muffler so louder than expected. It does sound nice though :) I richened it up to "just" on the limiter...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1B_PdiRLJag" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Very tempting! :hmm3grin2orange:

Heh heh. Well, my Makita and it's new BB kit are heading to a good home. I was speaking to Wayne (gmax) who said he'd buy it off me. I ran another tank through it today and I really can't explain it but this thing has some serious grunt after retuning it. I'm going to run a few more tanks through it tomorrow and get some videos but at this stage the compression feels so high that I'm not game to pull it over without the decomp on to test it as I'm fearful of busting the starter - no joke. I'm sure Wayne will get some compression readings as I'll be dropping it off to him next Saturday.

Thanks for wanting it Wayne and glad it's heading to your place to stay! I was very wary about putting it on eBay in case it attracted an idiot. It will probably look a bit out of place amongst all your old collectibles :)

Now when you come up next we can have an epic Dolmar vs. Makita battle :cheers:

It's on...

Do I hear an 85cc Dolmar/Makita coming your way Wayne? :D

Look out Wayne, he's diddlin ya! It's only 84cc's! ;)

Although you may think it was a simple typo Al I actually drilled a few holes in the top of the piston to increase capacity :D Just another one of those secret modder's tricks old son.

I cant wait to try it out, It will fill the 60cc-100cc gap just nice, I always worry about selling saws on ebay, the buyer could could straight gas it & you still have to give a refund.

Matt, we'll arrange a showdown for some big bore wars :chainsawguy:

Matt,
I swear that stuff you guys grow down under is made of concrete. you should try some Diamond tip demo saw blades. I know you would never drop a chain in a tree that wasn't sharp but that "tree" wasn't even dusting out in the video. Looks petrified to me.

Will,
I know you like to 200t as much as I do. My 6401BB and my 200t always go out to the woods with me, even if both don't fit the size tree. Those are two fun saws. I love my 440 and my 385 but there is something about a blue Dolkita that makes me smile. It also might be that everyone looks at it real funny until they run it.

Matt,
I swear that stuff you guys grow down under is made of concrete. you should try some Diamond tip demo saw blades. I know you would never drop a chain in a tree that wasn't sharp but that "tree" wasn't even dusting out in the video. Looks petrified to me.

Will,
I know you like to 200t as much as I do. My 6401BB and my 200t always go out to the woods with me, even if both don't fit the size tree. Those are two fun saws. I love my 440 and my 385 but there is something about a blue Dolkita that makes me smile. It also might be that everyone looks at it real funny until they run it.

Ahh ya, now your talking!! 200T is awesome!! I've only run the 6401 once so far, with 24" bar, and I must say its dam impressive stock for a 65cc saw. I can only imagine what its like ported 85cc!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

Matt,

Yeah mate the stuff in the video is hard yet still nowhere near the hardest wood around here. Same goes for up where Al is and his Box trees. We've got River Box around here which when grown in low rainfall, desert type areas ends up like Titanium :(

That is just nice Matt.

Yeah I was pretty happy with .020" Al :D

Ahh ya, now your talking!! 200T is awesome!! I've only run the 6401 once so far, with 24" bar, and I must say its dam impressive stock for a 65cc saw. I can only imagine what its like ported 85cc!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

Seriously Will, run this kit stock before porting it if you can. It's a big call on my part, and I'm yet to try it in anything over about 18" Casuarina with a 20" bar buried, but this thing is right on the hammer of my other ported Dolmar 7900's, if not more powerful. I'm not sure why because it shouldn't even be close. I'm going to get a side by side comparo on video with same bar and chain with my original ported 7900 plus play with the 7900's tune to see if I can get it out in front like it should be.

Seriously Will, run this kit stock before porting it if you can. It's a big call on my part, and I'm yet to try it in anything over about 18" Casuarina with a 20" bar buried, but this thing is right on the hammer of my other ported Dolmar 7900's, if not more powerful. I'm not sure why because it shouldn't even be close. I'm going to get a side by side comparo on video with same bar and chain with my original ported 7900 plus play with the 7900's tune to see if I can get it out in front like it should be.

Cool Matt, looking forward to your reviews.

When he heads off to South Oz I'll be sure to give him your address :D

As long as he makes me a good cappucino Rick and doesn't expect a happy ending :D

Cool Matt, looking forward to your reviews.

I'm looking forward to your reviews too mate :cheers: Today has gone nuts so no chance of a video session. Will have to sort something out this week before the saw gets to Wayne. He won't know what the hell's going on with a saw that doesn't rattle your fillings out!

That BB kit looks great Matt, a lot better than the one I got from baileys which I plan on trying out in the near future (I am back in Vic for a month or so).

The transfers on my kit need a bit of a clean out - maybe I'll do some mild port work.

Back