BB Dolmar/Makita with a difference...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not all that surprising, the last 7900 BB kit I saw tested in timed cuts was faster than a stock 7900 and a Solo 681. I'm not a fan of the overall quality of the 7900BB kits I've seen and worked on, but they do make good power.

Not all that surprising, the last 7900 BB kit I saw tested in timed cuts was faster than a stock 7900 and a Solo 681. I'm not a fan of the overall quality of the 7900BB kits I've seen and worked on, but they do make good power.

i think you'd like the quality of these kits mate. All 5 kits I received are pretty tidy. Unless there is an issue with port timing or something they look excellent at this stage. Also producing really good power and compression but this kit still has a lot of running in to do. I saw 175psi last night before I gave up as it honestly feels like I'm going to break something. She's still pretty tight.
My other 7900 will get fitted with one of these too very shortly.

i think you'd like the quality of these kits mate. All 5 kits I received are pretty tidy. Unless there is an issue with port timing or something they look excellent at this stage. Also producing really good power and compression but this kit still has a lot of running in to do. I saw 175psi last night before I gave up as it honestly feels like I'm going to break something. She's still pretty tight.

Don't know about port timing, just overall quality and some fitment issues, the newest ones do look better however.:cheers:

I know you said these kits didn't come from Baileys, but do you know if they're made by the same manufacturer?

Where did you buy these? If they seem to be better quality than Bailey's I'm sure the members would be interested. If it's the same supplier as Bailey's then I'm sure it will drum up more business for Bailey's...

I know you said these kits didn't come from Baileys, but do you know if they're made by the same manufacturer?
No. Bailey's kits are made in Taiwan, not China.

If they seem to be better quality than Bailey's I'm sure the members would be interested.
Remains to be seen. The Chinese 066 kit posted a while back seemed to be well behind Baileys in quality.

This photo that MCW posted seems to suggest that the plating on this 084 jug does not run all the way to the top. Not a big deal on the 'kita with its big top land, but very undesirable on Stihls with their puny top land. This has been an issue on both the Chinese and the Taiwanese kits, and for that matter, on some recent Stihl jugs.
DSCF1365.jpg

And a video of both my ported Dolmar 7900 and the BB kit on the Makita. Apart from the 3 port muffler the Makita has just got the stock BB kit on it. The Dolmar has been ported with a dual port muffler on it. There is absolutely nothing in it at all and in the hands the actual BB kitted Makita feels faster.
The wood is pretty hard too and as you guys in the states can see in the vid, even with new Stihl RSC chain there is a lot of fine dust.
At the end the log started moving while the Makita was cutting but you'll get the idea. Only 2 1/2 tanks through the Makita at this stage and it's still pretty tight.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n75tQGdNOKk" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Dude. You got some really sexy legs. Might want to cover them with chaps. Hate to see ya with a big ulgy chain gash in your pretty little smooth legs. :biggrinbounce2: Are those leggings they use to wear in the 80's? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Those 'leggings' are called Boot Savers. They keep the sawdust out of your boots while cutting. They are very common in Oz, they keep small pebbles, grass, ticks, leeches, ect. from dropping into your boots. They have elastic at the top to tighten around the ankles.

No. Bailey's kits are made in Taiwan, not China.

Remains to be seen. The Chinese 066 kit posted a while back seemed to be well behind Baileys in quality.

This photo that MCW posted seems to suggest that the plating on this 084 jug does not run all the way to the top. Not a big deal on the 'kita with its big top land, but very undesirable on Stihls with their puny top land. This has been an issue on both the Chinese and the Taiwanese kits, and for that matter, on some recent Stihl jugs.

Hi mtn. Hey after the last lot of 066/660 kits the only issue with them was the freeporting exhaust and brittle rings. The latest batch of 066/660 BB kits are excellent quality and no longer have the freeporting exhaust so therefore "last generation" as spoken about by some people here. Plating however still doesn't look to be going to the top on any of the kits I received but this is only an issue if intending to machine the jug and do a pop up. Also pays to remember that the kits I am receiving are not from only one manufacturer but from 3. The original 066/660 kits were from a completely different manufacturer to every other kit I have so to take the quality from the single kit you saw and use it as a blanket assessment on the other kits is unfair.

Dude. You got some really sexy legs. Might want to cover them with chaps. Hate to see ya with a big ulgy chain gash in your pretty little smooth legs. :biggrinbounce2: Are those leggings they use to wear in the 80's? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hey I'm one of the biggest PPE advocates on here. At the time I was standing well off to the side with no possibility of following through into my shins plus have a lot of chainsaw hours on the board. The risk of injury, although always possible, is probably in the order of 0.00000001%. By the way, I nearly always wear chaps and the sock protectors I wear for work as all I've been doing lately is walking around vineyards and citrus orchards full of prickles. Without them it's a "throw your socks in the bin" type scenario :cheers:

That BB looks real strong Matt.

Yeah Brad I'm actually very surprised. So much so that I'm fitting the last kit I have to the original ported 7900 you did for me to see if this is a freak kit or normal.
I've also been receiving PM's on the cost of getting these kits to the US from members with ZERO posts on the board. Snooping perhaps from other resellers? :(

Last edited:
Sure sounds like it.

The kit you have looks good, keeps us informed.:cheers:

Yeah that's my thoughts mate. I know there are a few guys that are members that never post and one of them who PM'd me is an Aussie guy who I've spoken on the phone with however it seems a bit fishy at this stage.

I'm pretty happy with the kits here but even looking good does not obviously mean their reliability is up to scratch. This is why I've been holding off on selling a heap at this stage. As mentioned earlier Will has got a 84cc BB kit on it's way and a 372XP BB kit as well. Although I haven't gotten to the post office just yet I am also sending Al a Dolmar BB and a 395XP BB kit as well.

Yeah that's my thoughts mate. I know there are a few guys that are members that never post and one of them who PM'd me is an Aussie guy who I've spoken on the phone with however it seems a bit fishy at this stage.

I'm pretty happy with the kits here but even looking good does not obviously mean their reliability is up to scratch. This is why I've been holding off on selling a heap at this stage. As mentioned earlier Will has got a 84cc BB kit on it's way and a 372XP BB kit as well. Although I haven't gotten to the post office just yet I am also sending Al a Dolmar BB and a 395XP BB kit as well.

Only time will tell, so far it's been hit and miss with the BB kits, hopefully these are a bit more consistent.:)

Only time will tell, so far it's been hit and miss with the BB kits, hopefully these are a bit more consistent.:)

Yeah I'm no BB expert but after Brad's review of the previous 066/660 BB kit I have inspected every single kit I have been sent. No tilted ports or freeporting exhaust was a biggy plus consistant casting and bevels. The 460 BB kit is the only one that has different bevelling. I also asked for the kits to be fitted with better rings (this was an option after complaining about the previous rings) and the rings "look" good but certainly aren't as brittle.

***If anybody on here wants to try a BB 460 kit please PM me for a good discount. I know nobody with a 460 to try one out for me so if a member can help that'd be great :cheers:

I also found out where the 660 is that Brad modded for me. Apparently there is a 3 week backlog with the US postal services for international parcels. This is due to increased demand from overseas due to your dollar and the exchange rate plus an increase in security. My 660 that was posted 2 weeks ago hasn't even left the US yet :(

Last edited:
Well then your pistons must be made in Taiwan!

Well maybe the Chinese aren't only doing knock offs of the knock offs but also knock offs of the machinery presses and casting dies as well?

Brace yourself, here are more photos to check pistons and porting on old son...

Big Bore 066/660 (latest kits)...

DSCF1395.jpg

DSCF1420.jpg

DSCF1422.jpg

DSCF1394.jpg

DSCF1393.jpg

DSCF1425.jpg

DSCF1427.jpg

Latest posts

Back