BB kit for 365

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donrhodes

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought a used 365, it has a 48mm piston and cyl with normal wear on it and needs to be replaced. I can get a 52mm BB kit from Bailey's or a place that sells Forester parts and both are made in China. They are both coated with nisc. or something like that. Are these China parts OK or should I look for a good used 50mm Mahle OE piston and cyl? What amount of squish should I try to get with the piston for best compression? And how is the best way to measure it?

Thanks Don

I did the same thing to one of my saws a year and a half ago, It was a 365, I used the Baileys big bore kit on it. Made a mandrel to turn the base of the cylinder down till I had .020" squish with a base gasket installed. I did however raise the exhaust back up to stock and left the transfers alone. Ran equal to a stock 372 on the very top end. But was noticably stronger every where else. You could really load the saw hard with a 8 pin rim sprocket. I don't know much about the "other" aftermarket big bores? I would stay away personally. Baileys will stand behind their products.

Hi, I just bought a used 365, it has a 48mm piston and cyl with normal wear on it and needs to be replaced. I can get a 52mm BB kit from Bailey's or a place that sells Forester parts and both are made in China. They are both coated with nisc. or something like that. Are these China parts OK or should I look for a good used 50mm Mahle OE piston and cyl? What amount of squish should I try to get with the piston for best compression? And how is the best way to measure it?

Thanks Don

John @ Ahlborn (Forestor) told me their BBK's were Tiawan not China. I bought a BBK for Makita 6401 from them. Had allready bought the NWP BBK from Baileys. The Forestor kit was equal if not better than the NWP. Only have 5 min. on the saw but it's a "MAN". NWP kits have a good rep. General consensus is OEM. For my firewood saws I run around .020 squish. Remove spark plug insert small length 6" or so, small resin core solder, curve it so it will go to the cyl wall @ the wrist pin, rotate crank to squish solder, measure.

Shep

Thanks for your help guys, I think I will put a BB kit on my 365 saw. Did you check the compression after the BB kit was installed?

Thanks Don

You can get a way stronger saw with the OEM 50mm cylinder ported properly and a vented-skirt piston. That it what I used for Rick's saw in the 372 build-off. Pulls 32" bar no problem.

Last edited:
Back