Bc logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BC

On a good day how many trees can you cut, top and buck up in a day. what sort of bft does that equate to.

i'm not a faller...yet...haha but it depends on average diameter, slope of the ground, how limby the trees are, stuff like that. i've heard of guys in the interior in smaller pine and spruce on gentle slopes getting ridiculous amounts of trees in a day.

most common: oak (red, white, burr, pin,), hickory(shagbark, pignut), maple(hard & soft), poplar, beech, sycamore, ash

less common: walnut, cherry, kentucky coffeetree(cut my 1st one the other day)

thats the ones i can think of real quik right off teh top of my head. i run an 066 w/ a 24" bar almost always, 36" on anything that is 5 1/2-6 foot, not that common around here but there are a few. around here we cut everything with chainsaws, and move all the logs with skidders. don't ever really cut any softwoods(pines) around here, they just don't grow that much around here.

unfortunately I don't fall professionally , I timed out for getting my certification and don't have the 10 000 to acquire it but I am planning to do so in the future, so the falling I do is for family and friends.

As to how much I would cut in a day would depend on the size and slope of the area, I could do would be between 1 to 5 an hour thats falling limbing and bucking

BC_logger

around here on an average day, in average timber i can usually cut 40-55 trees in around 6-8 hours of cutting. this is without killing myself, but some days more some less

can I ask what is the average size for you

here in BC there about 24 to 36 give or take

based on a 8 hour day I would be looking about probbly 16 to 40

BC logger

BC logger

Fallers work a 61/2 hour day in the bush here in B.C. I was up on the Queen Charlotte Islands last year climbing in the bush and there are some freakin huge trees there! Spruce that is 8' at the butt is common, some to 14', despite what the 'huggers say. So the undercut is taken out in chunks, probably wieghs 1000lbs. you have to cut "windows", that is holes in the backcut to get your saw in there. Part of the backcut is made by boring in the middle of the undercut, through the holding wood. So you might only cut down, limb and buck 2-3 of these beasts a day. Wood is measured by the cubic meter here, 1000 board feet is .4 of 1 meter. So a meter is like 2500 board feet. A highway truck takes between 35-50 meters, off highway up to 90 meters. The real big wood gets bucked short so the yarder can move it, like 14'6" and so on.

BC logger

that is pretty well the average around here also. i have been in several patches that are larger, and a few that are smaller, but that is pretty much the norm, im getting ready to move onto a 400 acre, 1.5 million bft job that has some darn big trees for this area. be careful out there.

clearance,
i too have bore cut in the center of the face when cutting trees larger that 4' with a 24" bar, so far a 5 1/2 footer with a 24" is the most i have done that way. have a good'un

ive watched several vids of guys falling softwoods and they sure are alot different than cuttign the hardwoods that we have around here.

Wood is measured by the cubic meter here, 1000 board feet is .4 of 1 meter. So a meter is like 2500 board feet. A highway truck takes between 35-50 meters, off highway up to 90 meters. The real big wood gets bucked short so the yarder can move it, like 14'6" and so on.

If my calculations are correct, yours might be backwards. I calculate about 410 BF in a cubic meter. Otherwise you are talking highway truckloads of 100,000BF? That's hundreds of thousands of pounds of weight,like 700-800 thousand. Maybe I missed something??

around here on an average day, in average timber i can usually cut 40-55 trees in around 6-8 hours of cutting. this is without killing myself, but some days more some less

sillogger,

If you don't mind me asking what is the rate of pay for a faller down there.And Where did you get the mod muffler for your 066.

If my calculations are correct, yours might be backwards. I calculate about 410 BF in a cubic meter. Otherwise you are talking highway truckloads of 100,000BF? That's hundreds of thousands of pounds of weight,like 700-800 thousand. Maybe I missed something??

Could be, I'm not so good with math.

If you don't mind me asking what is the rate of pay for a faller down there.And Where did you get the mod muffler for your 066.[/QUOTE]

around here there are no falling unions or certification courses, just about everything is family owned or small companies-5-10 employees, pay is different for each company. as for me i make $15/hour running my own saws, not that great but could be worse. as for the muffler mod i did it myself. drilled out the welds on the inner baffle of the muffler, brazed the holes, cut the muffler and made the port with 3/4" square stock tubing. works alright once i got the carb set. really need to to a carb rebuild. got the saw as a rebuilder of ebay and just getting the quirks worked out, i could prolly post some pics of the saw and the job im working right now.

If you don't mind me asking what is the rate of pay for a faller down there.And Where did you get the mod muffler for your 066.

around here there are no falling unions or certification courses, just about everything is family owned or small companies-5-10 employees, pay is different for each company. as for me i make $15/hour running my own saws, not that great but could be worse. as for the muffler mod i did it myself. drilled out the welds on the inner baffle of the muffler, brazed the holes, cut the muffler and made the port with 3/4" square stock tubing. works alright once i got the carb set. really need to to a carb rebuild. got the saw as a rebuilder of ebay and just getting the quirks worked out, i could prolly post some pics of the saw and the job im working right now. [/QUOTE]

If you could post some pic's that would be great

i dont' have any pics,but i will take the camera as soon as i get back to the woods,(too wet, if this storm misses us ill get to work tom. sure hope so!!!)

Latest posts

Back