BC1000xl or Bandit 150

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattyphatcakes

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a new chipper this comming season. I do mostly pruning, 2-3 person crew, will pull it with a 1 ton (so weight is a factor), and I want a local dealer so I believe my choices in the denver area are bandit or vermeer.

What would you buy? And more importantly, why?

Oh, and opinions on engine options would be appreciated as well, some poser once said "there's nothin like a catepillar engine", is that true?

Hmmm.. Both are good machines IMO._I hear more dissing of the BC1000xl but my limited experiece with one impressed me greatly. The Bandit 150 is a dual horizontal feed wheel machine unless I am mistaken. Most new designs are either single feed wheel or dual vertical wheels. This is because the lower wheelfeed wheel on dual horizontals creates problems.-when chipping dead stuff it tends to break up and the pieces jam the lower wheel. Most of these machines have the cleanout plate removed and thrown away so that the stuff fallls through-which doesn't eliminate all the jamming and results in a "poop" pile under the machine that adds 5 minutes of cleanup at every chipping site. I just modified my Olathe 964 (a very similar machine to the B150) by removing the lower feed wheel. and adding a floor across the opening that the upper feed wheel can pinch against. I chipped a small amount of stuff today. I will report the final verdict on the mods after further testing but the initial impression is favorable-If it doesn't work out I can convert it back.

Based on my experiences I would choose the BC1000xl. FWIW Vermeer in general has a better reputation for service than Bandit.(I know nothing about the Bandit dealer in Denver so this is NOT a criticism of them. However,the Denver Vermeer dealership is very customer service oriented.)

The 1000 has a Cummins, I like them, they can't take a beating like the old Asplundh whisper but they are vastly better for the groundcrew. The glass covers are not steel and cost large to replace,

I ran a 1000 up herei n Fort Collins for a year in 03' It's an alright machine. Or course my first chipper was a vermeer 1800 so the 1000 seemed picky in what it would take but it is alright machine. Sorry dont knowm uch about the bandit. If the bandit is a 15" I would take it in heartbeat over the 1000 vermeer.

I have a Vermeer bc1400. $36k mistake. I wish I bought the bandit 1590.
Bandit machines are built much better than vermeer.
I truely belive vermeer are built to break and they dont stand behind there equipment. Bigtime vibration problems.
I was just looking at some 3-4" cracks starting on the chute today
Ive had to many problems to list with the vermeer chipper and its a 2004 I bought new and it has about 600hrs on it I had a 1997 200+ 2000hrs never had to fix anything but routine maint.
Do yourself a favor and get the BANDIT

Bandit 150XP is heavier and better built

Took a BC1000XL in trade a few weeks ago, because the third drum had failed for customer. Have sold a bunch of 150XP's and they never have that problem with a disc. The 150 has been out much linger than the BC1000, so has much fewer bugs. I thicnk if you got a 150XP with the Lift cylinder, Autofeed, winch and 45" infeed, you would be really happy.

If you still want BC1000XL

I will take $8,500 for 2003 BC1000XL with Cummins 85 hp diesel, but it will need a new drum.

Having the winch would be great. I was looking at a new 150 in Loveland a few weeks back, looks like a stout machine.

What about maintenence? Is one any better than the other as far as convenience, changing knives, etc.

I ran a 1000xl at Asplundh and personally didn't like it. I run a Bandit 200 now and I am happy with it. I have the same problem as Stumper though with stuff getting caught in the lower feed wheel. I keep my cleanout plate closed and it still poops out the sides. Let me know how the mod works, Stumper.

Maintenance

I think drums are easier to flip knives on, but the 150XP does not have all the valves and hoses enclosed. The rental company mechanics I deal with seem to like working on the bandits because everything is accesable without removing lots of covers and guards.

fattyphatcakes said:
Having the winch would be great. I was looking at a new 150 in Loveland a few weeks back, looks like a stout machine.

What about maintenence? Is one any better than the other as far as convenience, changing knives, etc.

Mac Equipment? Those are some good guys down there. They seem on the level, friendly and carry great equipment.

go with drum for big stuff

Drums chip larger wood and vines better than a disk. Less vibration
plus they are much easier to change knives. (15 minutes)
We really do alot of large removals and we chip as much as we can.
We winch in leaders whole, but usually have to cut the crotches. with a bandit you dont have to cut a thing. A 1590 or a 1890 will eat anything.
A bandit 12" (150-250) disk is a great chipper. If you do more trimming jobs thats the way to go. big removals go drum and definatly go BANDIT.
Dont get stuck like me with a Vermeer.

Latest posts

Back