Be careful out there...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
Bought a Stihl 075 a couple of days ago. Cleaned it up (20 years of dirt and resin), fixed the clutch (some idiot has put a stihl bearing on the oregon drum - not!) , replaced the missing (!) impulse line, about 8 missing fasteners and a new metal bottom handle bracket (old one cracked in two), replaced the missing support under the airfilter plate so the igntion shut-off switch could ground and ... started perfectly first pull. Runs really strong.

Just one small problem: it's actually an 051AV electronic... Mutter, mutter...

The guy that sold it to me didn't know - someone had swapped the air-filter cover at some point and that's where the name tag is (someone is probably running an 075 that is labeled 051..). It's real hard to tell them apart - the only real difference I can see is the 58mm bore of the 075 verses the 52mm bore of the 051, but you'd have to get inside to see that. One tiny diff you can see : the cylinder on the 075 has STUDS all the way from the crankcase to the top - the 051 has the usual allen fasteners at the base.

Hmmm, now I have an 051 to sell....

Last edited:
sorry to hear that. I recently bought a dolmar parts saw that had a good piston and cylinder for the 111 box of parts i have. it was supposed to be a 111 open port saw....Turns out it was a 115 closed port. What am I to do, I hate to get rid of the closed port 110 for the 115, but don't want to get rid of that 110 either. Maybe I'll have a 110 that is really a 115 and a 111 that is really a 110? Mine turned out to be for the better, but it easily could have been the other way around had I been looking for a 115, which i was for the other saw.

Steve

Lakeside53 said:
Bought a Stihl 075 a couple of days ago. Cleaned it up (20 years of dirt and resin), fixed the clutch (some idiot has put a stihl bearing on the oregon drum - not!) , replaced the missing (!) impulse line, about 8 missing fasteners and a new metal bottom handle bracket (old one cracked in two), replaced the missing support under the airfilter plate so the igntion shut-off switch could ground and ... started perfectly first pull. Runs really strong.

Just one small problem: it's actually an 051AV electronic... Mutter, mutter...

The guy that sold it to me didn't know - someone had swapped the air-filter cover at some point and that's where the name tag is (someone is probably running an 075 that is labeled 051..). It's real hard to tell them apart - the only real difference I can see is the 58mm bore of the 075 verses the 52mm bore of the 051, but you'd have to get inside to see that. One tiny diff you can see : the cylinder on the 075 has STUDS all the way from the crankcase to the top - the 051 has the usual allen fasteners at the base.

Hmmm, now I have an 051 to sell....

I made the mistake once before. Now, thanks to the site member who bought that parts saw I'm well versed in telling the subtle differences between the two. Oiler location is the only thing I can relaibly go by.

Thats ok on the parts saw Scott. The 051 had a good piston and cylinder so I was happy.

There are two easy ways to tell the 051 from the 075/076. The first is all 075/076 have the manual oiler in front of the top handle. The manual oiler is not found on a 051. The second is the location of the compression release at the back of the saw. There are two holes in the back of the handle support for the compression release on these saws. The one closest to the spark plug is for the 051. The one closer to the muffler is for the 075/076. Hope this info helps someone in the future.

Travis

tkemble said:
Thats ok on the parts saw Scott. The 051 had a good piston and cylinder so I was happy.

There are two easy ways to tell the 051 from the 075/076. The first is all 075/076 have the manual oiler in front of the top handle. The manual oiler is not found on a 051. The second is the location of the compression release at the back of the saw. There are two holes in the back of the handle support for the compression release on these saws. The one closest to the spark plug is for the 051. The one closer to the muffler is for the 075/076. Hope this info helps someone in the future.

Travis

The compression release observation is a good one... Subtle, but makes sense. Now all I have to do is remember which way round they go when out on the street!

Are you sure about the oiler? - I'm pretty sure I've seen 075's without manual oilers which is one reason I got caught on this 051...

Anyone know the HP of the 51 / 75 / 76?

I'm almost positive that the 051 never had a manual oiler. I have an old IPL( back when stihl would list every obselete part ever used) here that doesn't show one. The lower end is the same for both saws. So I'm sure that some guys out there changed there 051s to 075s if they happened to wreck the piston and cylinder. Alot like converting a 285 to a 2100 hybrid in huskies.
Travis

I almost forgot. Power output of the 051 is 5.8 DIN HP. Power output of the 075 is 7.0 DIN HP. Both at 7000 rpm.
Travis

tkemble said:
I'm almost positive that the 051 never had a manual oiler. I have an old IPL( back when stihl would list every obselete part ever used) here that doesn't show one. The lower end is the same for both saws. So I'm sure that some guys out there changed there 051s to 075s if they happened to wreck the piston and cylinder. Alot like converting a 285 to a 2100 hybrid in huskies.
Travis

yes, I know the 051 never had the manual oiler, but are you sure that all the 075's did?

The 051 doesn't look all that that bad at 5.8 hp and tons of torque - it is 89cc :) and still made in Brazil (as the MS051). And if the bottom end is made to handle the 075 jug - 111c, it's got to be rock solid for a 051! Interestingly the two jugs use the identical carb. Maybe I'll look around for a 75/76 jug.

tkemble said:
Remember the ts 760 uses the same jug too. That might make it easier for you to find.
Travis

yes... and the are after market jugs everywhere for both the TS510 and TS760.
Hmmm, maybe a milling saw?

And while on this topic of "old saws", here's the current lineup in Peru:

http://www.elcointi.com/lineasthil.htm

Last edited:
Back