Beaches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberjackboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In the Newbrunswick area the beach trees are all dieing. they seem to have developed a disease. They only grow so big and then the branches all go in weird angles and they die. They also have some type of black humped up sots around them. They are now considered a trash tree. When thinning you have to cut them usually, and they are a veru hard tree

Two tall trees, a birch and a beech, are growing in the woods. A small tree begins to grow between them.
The beech says to the birch: "Is that a son of a beech or a son of a birch?"
The birch says he cannot tell.
Just then a woodpecker lands on the sapling.
The birch says, "Woodpecker,you are a tree expert. Can you tell if that is a son of a beech or of a birch?"
The woodpecker takes a taste of the small tree.
He replies: "It is neither a son of a beech nor a son of a birch. It is, however, the best piece of ash....

Pay no mind to those two wahoos, TJB, you're of course in the midst of a bad Beech Scale Nectria epidemic. Not much you can do in a forest setting. If you have a prized beech tree in your yard, that's another matter.

Since you like roaming around the woods, like I do (except I'm usually in a drunken state), keep a keen eye on your hemlocks -- especially for white, woolen masses on the underside of branches. If you see some, instantly report them to your province's forestry division.

Yeah I heard from an Irving forester that the beeches are going that way. I will miss one ridge I use to hunt in apahoqui. Glad I dont have too many beeches on my woodlot out there.

Beech here in Ontario in my area is great yet but you cannot sell it to a sawmill, they will not buy it here, so if you cut it , it goes for firewood

Latest posts

Back