beam making??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Quick question. Is boxed heartwood the only way to make a beam that will not warp (at least badly)? I have a couple timberframing books that cover the subject a little but not so in depth as far as milling beams. If you have a decent size log how would you best utilize it if you wanted to make it all into beams? Could you quarter it 2x to get 4 peices then use a vertical type mill to make it into beams?? Appreciate your replys. Thanks

Beams

We saw a lot of beams out of Fir & pine. Never bin able to keep them from moving unless they are taken from the heart.
We fig what else we need and cut accordingly. But keep that beam in the center. Hope this helps

Thanks I was hoping that wasn't the case not like the other wood isn't useful but it would be nice to get an extra beam or two out of a log if it has the diameter but thats why I figured I'd ask.. Again thanks

If you have REALLY big logs you can cut beams that are free of heart. But you have to be able to saw them completely away from the heart if you want them to be stable.

If you are just halving or quartering logs then you will end up with the heartwood on one edge of the beam, and it's going to move for sure.

So yes with normal sized logs it is best to keep the heart centered, cut one beam and take the rest off as usefull 1x or 2x material. You are going to need floor and ceiling joists etc anyway. ;)

Cheers

Ian

thanks

Yeah I was picturing the end of a log and if you take say a 8x8 or 6x6 out of the center then maybe some 4x4's out of the surrounding area. So if its free or heartwood they may not warp as badly? Thats encourging. Thanks

Latest posts

Back