Milling deep beams

bplust

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi all,

I have a Granberg MKIII (I think) mill I've been using for around a decade. I primarily mill softwoods for timber framing that are longer than 16', as many mills around here don't like to mill over 16', and when they do, the bd/ft price goes up considerably.

I have to mill a few oddballs for a steeple restoration that aren't particularly long (around 14' in length), but they're beefy, 14"x15".

The maximum depth my mill can do is 13", so while I can make these 14x15's, with my current setup, I'd have to make four "First Cuts", which could be a huge pain depending on how twisted the log I'm going to be working with is.

Right now, I'm considering taking my mill to someone who can weld aluminium and having my depth rails extended from 13" to 20".

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would like to hear them. I checked Granberg's website, and didn't see them offering taller depth rails, plus, I have to do this by September, and am a little wary of shipping times right now, as Granberg says they're 5 weeks backordered.

Lastly, I don't know if anyone's covered this before, but I mill with a 288xp, and regarding adjusting chain tension, was tired of either having to take my mill off or having to mess around with a flathead bit & a 1/4" wrench, so I modified a clutch cover off of a 562xp, and it works like a charm. It's ugly as sin, so if you have young children, I suggest you ask them to leave the room before clicking on the following pictures.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Bryan

Attachments

• DSCN6271.JPG
    DSCN6271.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 52
  • DSCN6272.JPG
    DSCN6272.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 49
Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Your depth posts Should Be Steel, not Aluminum

Granberg doesn’t show any back order status on the Extended Depth Posts, their website shows the capacity at 34” of depth, well beyond what you need, at least for THIS project

Granberg Extended Depth Posts

Nose End part # 0792F36

Thrust End part # 0791F36

Price. $45.00 each

I believe that these come Depth Posts ONLY, you will have to rob the clamps and bolts for each end, and the nose guard off your existing depth posts.

Granberg does offer the bolts, clamps and nose guard separately, but I didn’t look up prices or part #’s for those, but they are available if you want complete extended depth bar assemblies

I have had Excellent Luck and Service ordering from Granberg in the past, but it has been awhile

Doug

Husky Man

Husky Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hi Doug,

Thank you for the detailed reply. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Bryan
You’re Welcome Bryan, I have ordered all sorts of add ons and spare parts from Granberg. It has been awhile, I don’t know if they are facing long delays currently, but I have always been very Happy with the service that I have gotten from Granberg. I would give them a call, and see what they say about shipping times

Granberg
(800) 233-6499
(925) 380-9400

Monday-Friday
9:00-4:30 PT

Doug

J D

ArboristSite Guru
If you were to drill the bar & drill & tap your current depth posts you could bolt them to the bar with 2" spacers

bplust

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
Bryan , if you find Granberg can't ship the depth posts within your timeframe let me know, as I have a set from Granberg that have never been used. I've been meaning to list them.

Hi Leeroy,

I tried to PM you, but was unable to for reasons unknown.

Please PM me when you have a minute.

Thank you, and thank you to everyone for the replies,

Bryan

Leeroy

Leeroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Bryan after reading your original post and @BobL s post I hope you were not expecting these to be aluminum.
They are not and the pair weighs in at 14+lbs!

Latest posts