Bearings and gas.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dls

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally found some ethanol free gas. The 044 I finished runs fabulous on it. Better than any saw I've built. I need to try it on the others now.

Working on the 084. I wasn't going to put bearings in it but decided to anyway. Magnified examination found wearing spots in both crank bearings. The flywheel side is just a 6203 bearing which I think can be picked up at any bearing store or parts store for about $4 but since the saw runs 12,000 rpm, I wonder if an off the shelf bearing is built for that speed?
Next is the Clutch or PTO side. That seems to be a Stihl exclusive. The original number was 9523-003-4385. I've found the 088 and MS880 have the same bearing without the inner seal and it is a direct interchange to the 084. It is part number 9523-003-4386 that is now changed to ANOTHER new number. As of 01-19-2019 the part number for the clutch side crank bearing on an 084, 088, MS880 is 9523-003-4385 Cheers.

Often main bearings on 2 stroke motors will have special clearances. The designation will be like 6203 C3 which is a Class 3 fit. If the bearing is an interference fit in the crankcase then this is a sign it may be a special bearing. I'm really a motorcycle mechanic but the engineering is the same when it comes to bearing fits.

Often main bearings on 2 stroke motors will have special clearances. The designation will be like 6203 C3 which is a Class 3 fit. If the bearing is an interference fit in the crankcase then this is a sign it may be a special bearing. I'm really a motorcycle mechanic but the engineering is the same when it comes to bearing fits.
C3 clearance is what is designated. The link I sent is the EXACT bearing needed.

Every bearing that I've replaced in a split mag case saw is an interference fit.

Thanks for the class information and the link. I ordered two. Local bearing company had them in stock for $11.50 each but says skf is U.S. manufactured. Pop out the seals and you are good to go.
There will be some grease to spray out as well. Carb or brake cleaner should work. Then spray a little WD-40 or drop a little mix oil in them.

Make sure you pre lube the bearings with two stroke oil. Just blow the grease out with a air hose. Don’t wash them.

The grease won't just blow out, it will have to be washed, and an immediate lube with something lighter will stave off rust.

Make sure the solvent your using to wash out the grease will allow the two stroke oil to adhere to the bearings. If the oil doesn’t adhere to the bearings there goes the bearing life.

Gasoline. I cringe when I see people wash there front spindle bearings in gas. Something like simple green should be ok it’s mild.

I tend to believe that to be true. Carb spray dries good and fast too.

We washed parts in gasoline always when I was a kid. Wash engine, transmission and rearend parts in it till our skin burned. Wonder we didn't make a spark and burn ourselves up. Later I learned about mineral spirits with a brush which works nice. Brake cleaner works well and fast but I have found it leaves a white residue that reminds me of lime. You can wipe it off where it is reachable but I don't think it is good in a bearing.

Back