Beavers and Tree Felling...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baldbeavercopy.jpg

I don't fancy bald beavers of any kind! :givebeer:

Well according to the people who study such things, Beavers just chew on the tree until it falls (sometimes onto themselves), they are stimulated to build dams by the sound of running water, and they like poplar trees.

Yea I hear they like poplar alot. I also see them felling swamp ashe around here alot.

It seems they like the soft wood. That goes against what I thought the typical Beaver preferred!:)

If any of ya get a chance, watch one of the little devils felling technique.

Gnaw and listen, Gnaw and listen, with less gnawing and more listening as they get further into the tree. They definately get edgy when they get down a ways, and will haul butt at the slightest pop, and then come back after a short wait.

Can ya imagine the pain of pooping slivers?
Poor critters have it ROUGH!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If any of ya get a chance, watch one of the little devils felling technique.

Gnaw and listen, Gnaw and listen, with less gnawing and more listening as they get further into the tree. They definately get edgy when they get down a ways, and will haul butt at the slightest pop, and then come back after a short wait.

Can ya imagine the pain of pooping slivers?
Poor critters have it ROUGH!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sounds like someone that doesn't know the #### what he is doing! :agree2:

Yea I hear they like poplar alot. I also see them felling swamp ashe around here alot.

It seems they like the soft wood. That goes against what I thought the typical Beaver preferred!:)

I have been spreading some of that blue fertilizer to harden the trees against the beaver attack. I have no idea yet if it's gonna work but at least I can try.

attachment.php

I have been spreading some of that blue fertilizer to harden the trees against the beaver attack. I have no idea yet if it's gonna work but at least I can try.

attachment.php

That'd be expensive :cheers:

I was reading that a number of people believed that Beavers could directional fell trees towards water. What the researchers discovered was that trees near water tend to lean that way to access more sunlight so any directional feling technique is a hoax - they were going to fall that way anyhow.

Bummer, I was hoping the little buggars had some technique I could pinch...

That'd be expensive :cheers:

I was reading that a number of people believed that Beavers could directional fell trees towards water. What the researchers discovered was that trees near water tend to lean that way to access more sunlight so any directional feling technique is a hoax - they were going to fall that way anyhow.

Bummer, I was hoping the little buggars had some technique I could pinch...

I get it for free or write a prescription for my desperate ones.

I have set quietly for hours watching these large rodents go about their work so that I could understand what they were all about. They are prolific around my home turf and less than a five min walk from my house there is a family of them, they have dammed up a stream with a 100' + - a bit dam. They prefer the softest wood over the rest but will even cut down rock maple and that`s hard. Alders, poplar and white birch make up the most sought out trees from which they strip and eat the bark. They then use the stripped clean wood to build dams and houses. They have absolutely no ability to direct felling, the tree goes the way it leans, I have seen many hangups where tree has will stay until nature brings it down. In this area we need permits to legally trap beavers but a well placed bullet will quickly dispose of them. They are fairly good eating, especially in a stew. The old trappers I knew well prefered beaver and porcupine as eating fare as they are herbivores over eating omnivores. There is no intent to comaring these animals to the opposite sex in this post.
Pioneerguy600

Me and my father in law are fighting beavers right now. they have damed up a creek on his forty acres for hunting . a large creek runs thru it . they have damed it up in bout five different spots along this creek . what is happening is when we get a good rain the creek over runs its banks and keeps the low lieing areas flooded . in turn the ground stays saturated and the older red and white oaks on this property are uprooting themselves when we have hard winds . the reason for buying this property to begin with was the old growth oaks. deer and squirrel eat the accorns and makes a good hunting area for deer. in two months we have lost around 20 oaks . we have been taking a backhoe to the damns and trapping the beavers . only problem is with some of there damns are in remote spots and its hard to get a 13,000 pound back hoe to them . but when you have a 13000 pound back you can build roads tooo :clap:. slow process but it is being pursued.

ive seen very few trees cut down by beavers . they tend to use what is readily available . what i have seen cut is saplings. 2 inches at largest.

I know they can be pretty aggressive toward humans if you approasch thier dams. I have only seen it once but have heard alot about it from others.

Went to mow some hay today where I had torn the dam down and they have started back building it again! :censored:

Problem is, I can't ever see them anywhere when I have a rifle with me.

Back