Becoming a logger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,i want to become a logger but i need a stronger chainsaw,right now i have a Husqvarna 120 mark 2 which is a good saw but i need something way stronger if i were to work iin the forest.One of my options for my next saw is the Stihl MS 271 and i was wandering if thats a good saw to start with.

Hello,i want to become a logger but i need a stronger chainsaw,right now i have a Husqvarna 120 mark 2 which is a good saw but i need something way stronger if i were to work iin the forest.One of my options for my next saw is the Stihl MS 271 and i was wandering if thats a good saw to start with.
Please define "logger".

thats an uh... interesting profile pic you got there... care to elaborate.

I believe going off his comment, he will get himself killed, dude has another few years of training before he needs let loose with a chainsaw
Not everyone is born with full know how. None of us were. He might be just reaching out for some guidance and not knowing how to ask the right questions. We’ve all been there before.

I'm going with Bearcreek--'Please define logger'. One will start as a gopher (to go-fer stuff), become bucker or chokerman, and move up to faller, or yarder operator, or log loader operator, or truck driver, skidder operator....there are many jobs included in 'logger'.

I can completely understand him not wanting to hire someone who is not ready experience wise to go to work for a professional logging outfit. But could he lend some constructive and positive advice? Everyone has to be taught the ropes and rungs somewhere at some point. Some later than others. I applaud the OP for reaching out. Maybe he didn’t know how to ask the right questions, but I can’t count how many times I’ve not understood something and I didn’t even know how to explain what I didn’t understand, so no question sounded right when I asked it.
If someone is not willing to teach or guide another person to learn what skills are needed, they only have so much room to criticize.

thats an uh... interesting profile pic you got there... care to elaborate.
I randomly made this account and when asked for a profile picture i just put whatever i found in my laptop.And since i had a history project to make i selected i intersting image :')

Around here most logging is done by machines. The guys that head up the crews (buying, selling, etc.) generally have a degree in forestry. They try to keep their crew together, but always looking for a good guy to train.

Around here most logging is done by machines. The guys that head up the crews (buying, selling, etc.) generally have a degree in forestry. They try to keep their crew together, but always looking for a good guy to train.
Good insight. Thanks for sharing.

Don’t forget that Zin (Pimples) is only 14 and just faking any actual know how or experience. FYI, just saying.
Well, I guess that just reaffirms what I said, but it applies to himself more than the OP. If that’s true that is. But really, it’s not constructive to act that way no matter what age someone is. Whether they’re 14 or 50, makes little difference.

Back