I've about had it with pull ropes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dls

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Put Good vibrations D handles on my gas engines to be easier to start. The break within 5 starts or less so I went back to the Stihl Elastostart. Lasted 2 pulls. I've had hundreds of Stihl saws since 1972 and I am almost ready to try another brand. Not what they used to be. I'm getting old, not stronger yet the parts are getting weaker and made for tiny little school girls. I'm 5'6, 150 pounds. How do you big brutes get anything to last an hour now days? DSCF8461.JPGDSCF8460.JPGDSCF8463.JPG

No idea on the "good vibrations" D handle, maybe go for genuine Stihl rescue saw D handles.
On the elasto start- what model saw? That looks to be a thin recoil cover so smaller saw?
To pull the elasto system through the starter handle by busting off the rope collar takes some doing! My guess is perhaps you have other issues within your starter system that is binding and catching the rope.

No idea on the "good vibrations" D handle, maybe go for genuine Stihl rescue saw D handles.
On the elasto start- what model saw? That looks to be a thin recoil cover so smaller saw?
To pull the elasto system through the starter handle by busting off the rope collar takes some doing! My guess is perhaps you have other issues within your starter system that is binding and catching the rope.
Or, he has 4’ arms and is yanking well past the length of the rope ? 🤪

I broke ever starter handle on my 084 including the original rope rotor and elasto starts.
Stihl and Stens have been the only two Ds that held up. The ropes are trash from most of the suppliers now. Buy the very best you can find. Check that rope thimble twice.

Now, that is bling... I like it.
I just might have to go that route...

I agree, it might be a case of rope being short, but really...
I have not had any severe issues with handles breaking, or ropes wearing out that quickly.
Yeah, it is bling. Looks awesome and seems quite durable. Took a long time to be delivered though. Here’s a pic of it on one of my saws.
I have not had severe issues with pull ropes/handles either. I use Stens Diamond rope when replacing most of the time. I used one of those good vibrations handle/rope kits on my grandma’s Toro recently, I’ve only started it 3 times so far though so we’ll see how long it lasts.
IMG_5842.jpeg

Yeah, it is bling. Looks awesome and seems quite durable. Took a long time to be delivered though. Here’s a pic of it on one of my saws.
I have not had severe issues with pull ropes/handles either. I use Stens Diamond rope when replacing most of the time. I used one of those good vibrations handle/rope kits on my grandma’s Toro recently, I’ve only started it 3 times so far though so we’ll see how long it lasts.
View attachment 1149571

I had that same saw, and it kicked back so hard it ripped the handle out of my hand and broke the handle. Not surprised you have a replacement handle on it.

I had that same saw, and it kicked back so hard it ripped the handle out of my hand and broke the handle. Not surprised you have a replacement handle on it.
Yeah, I went to start it on the first day of use for the 5th time, and 25% of the handle broke off. So I contacted Senix, rather than send a new handle, they sent a whole new saw free of charge! So I bought the aluminum one out of curiosity and because I wanted something durable and because it would look good.

Pull ropes (cords) are one of my top repair items from tree service companies whose employees usually drop start their saws. Most of the time it's the cord that snaps from excessive wear or gets clogged up near the flywheel. I replace the handle much less often than the cord.

Latest posts

Back