Becoming and Arborist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
provide the thread starter, the costs associated with becoming a CA, he did mention it will give him a $2hr raise give him some numbers so he can see if it will be worth it!!...
I think this has to be taken into account to see if its worth it financially, unless.... you just want the cert.....

Great idea; a cost/benefit analysis.

Test for nonmember $225

study guide (if needed) $75?

total $300 to be CA. maybe travel etc to take test maybe not.

Raise $2/hour x 2000 hours/year (40 hrs/wk x 50 wks/yr)= $4000/year, x3= $12,000 gained on the $300 investment.

Recert fee $200 nonmember every 3 years = $66.67 to get $4,000/year, or more, if the CA employee convinces his/her boss.

+ 30 CEU's. These are free at online seminars for anyone. Also in-house training for safety etc., and sharing your knowledge by writing (not on web forums :dizzy: ), or speaking gets you free CEU's. At least 6/year are available in the magazine based on articles, for members.

"How many ways are there to obtain Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?

* ISA Publications
* ISA Arborist News Quiz
* Arboriculture & the Law/Workbook (3.00 CEUs)
* The Landscape Below Ground/Workbook (4.00 CEUs)
* Arborist Equipment/Workbook (10.00 CEUs)
* Plant Health Care for Woody Ornamentals/Workbook (3.00 CEUs)
* Principals & Practices of Planting Trees and Shrubs/Workbook (4.00 CEUs)
* Trees and Development/Workbook (4.00 CEUs)
* Photo Guide of Hazard Trees/Workbook (2.00 CEUs)
* Compendium Set (58.5 CEUs for complete set of seven categories)
o Tree Biology (8.5 CEUs)
o Plant Health Care (7.5 CEUs)
o Safe Work Practices (8 CEUs)
o Tree Maintenance (7.5 CEUs)
o Trees and Their Environment (8.5 CEUs)
o Tree Selection and Planting (9.5 CEUs)
o Tree Diagnosis and Treatment (9 CEUs)
* Asian Longhorn Beetle CD/Workbook (2.5 CEUs)
* The Art & Science of Practical Rigging Book (8 CEUs)
* Written and published articles (3.00 CEUs)
* First Aid or CPR class (4.00 CEUs each, given once per certification period)

CEUs for quizzes from Arborist News and other ISA publications can be earned only once per issue or edition during the life of your certification.

ISA Videos

* Art & Science of Practical Rigging (8.00 CEUs)
* Basic Training for Tree Climbers Series/Workbook (5.00 CEUs)
* Training Young Trees for Structure and Form/Workbook (1.50 CEUs)
* ArborMaster Training I and II Videos/Workbook & Tests (1.00 CEU)
o Series I Climbing Techniques (1.00 CEU)
o Series II Innovating in Climbing Equipment (1.00 CEU)
o Series II Rigging Knots, Rope Slings, and Eye Splices Workbook (1.00 CEU)

Computer Based Training

* Introduction to Arboriculture CD Series
o Tree Biology CD-Rom (4 CEUs)
o Tree Worker Safety CD-Rom (6 CEUs)

Seminars

Most seminars are pre-approved through your local chapter. If you would like to know if an upcoming seminar has been pre-approved for credit, you can contact your local chapter. If you are a member of your local chapter you should get a newsletter that informs you of upcoming seminars. You should also check the Arborist News Industry Calendar and the ISA web site.

In-House Training

A lot of companies offer in-house training. Anything educational pertaining to tree care gets CEUs! This includes safety meetings, training, CPR/1st aid, chainsaw safety, etc.

College Courses

College courses are now worth 10 CEU's per credit hour. In the past, college courses were worth 10 CEUs per course and 15 CEUs with a lab. For example, a 3-hour college course is now worth 30 CEUs that was previously worth 10 CEUs. As always, college course work must be an academically accredited 2-year or 4-year institution.

If there is anything not mentioned above that you feel should be worth CEUs please send a letter with the agenda or course outline along with a post-approval form to the ISA office. We will be happy to look it over for you. If it is granted CEUs then it will show on your next CEU update. If it does not meet the criteria (stated below), we will send the information back to you with a letter of explanation. CEU updates are sent twice a year.

The criteria for approving CEUs is as follows. Anything educational pertaining to tree care in the following twelve domains:
# Soil Management
# Pruning
# ID/Selection
# Diagnosis & Treatment
# Installation & Establishment
# Urban Forestry
# Safe Work Practices
# Tree Protection
# Tree Biology
# Tree Risk Management

If you have any questions concerning CEUs, you may email us at [email protected] or you may call (217) 355-9411.

There you have it, what I have been saying all along. If you can't do it, go sit in the truck.

Clearance I find it hard to believe you have someone telling
you how to tie in,start your saw etc anymore! I may be wrong,
obviously you got a burr up your bu?? about something that has
happened recently to you! I for one would like to hear a few of
your instances, to fully understand what is going on in your world!

The point is if one beleives; I wouldnt ask anyone to do something I wouldnt do!!............remember wouldnt do!

then how is it a non-climbing CA would?

LXT.........

How does a pilot drop your azz in a hostile LZ because there is a job to do!
I know there is respect issues but really if a ca with a masters in hort
gives me advise,should I not listen? We could be a hack and say if you
don't top trees you ain't a treeman. What does all this negative energy
accomplish in phc? I have seen this go on and on,and as a professional
it seems sort of child like. If a ncca offered your business work would
you say no I don't do business with nccu's? If so, you are true in your
cause but I would bet my new 3/4 stable braid you would take the job!
It has been my experience that working for these people has been very
beneficial to business! Am I now a target for having worked under a
nccu? I will tell you he paid much better for my service than I would
have made on my own! I bid the job done the work to his specification
and got a nice tip! :popcorn:

Last edited:

Test for nonmember $225

Raise $2/hour x 2000 hours/year (40 hrs/wk x 50 wks/yr)= $4000/year, x3= $12,000 gained on the $300 investment.

Recert fee $200 nonmember every 3 years = $66.67 to get $4,000/year, or more, if the CA employee convinces his/her boss.

+ 30 CEU's. These are free at online seminars for anyone. Also in-house training for safety etc., and sharing your knowledge by writing (not on web forums :dizzy: ), or speaking gets you free CEU's. At least 6/year are available in the magazine based on articles, for members.

* ISA Publications
* ISA Arborist News Quiz

CEUs for quizzes from Arborist News and other ISA publications can be earned only once per issue or edition during the life of your certification.

ISA Videos

Computer Based Training

Seminars

Most seminars are pre-approved through your local chapter. If you would like to know if an upcoming seminar has been pre-approved for credit, you can contact your local chapter. If you are a member of your local chapter you should get a newsletter that informs you of upcoming seminars. You should also check the Arborist News Industry Calendar and the ISA web site.

In-House Training

A lot of companies offer in-house training. Anything educational pertaining to tree care gets CEUs! This includes safety meetings, training, CPR/1st aid, chainsaw safety, etc.

College Courses

College courses are now worth 10 CEU's per credit hour. In the past, college courses were worth 10 CEUs per course and 15 CEUs with a lab. For example, a 3-hour college course is now worth 30 CEUs that was previously worth 10 CEUs. As always, college course work must be an academically accredited 2-year or 4-year institution.

If there is anything not mentioned above that you feel should be worth CEUs please send a letter with the agenda or course outline along with a post-approval form to the ISA office. We will be happy to look it over for you. If it is granted CEUs then it will show on your next CEU update. If it does not meet the criteria (stated below), we will send the information back to you with a letter of explanation. CEU updates are sent twice a year.

The criteria for approving CEUs is as follows. Anything educational pertaining to tree care in the following twelve domains:
# Soil Management
# Pruning
# ID/Selection
# Diagnosis & Treatment
# Urban Forestry
# Safe Work Practices
# Tree Protection
# Tree Biology
# Tree Risk Management

If you have any questions concerning CEUs, you may email us at [email protected] or you may call (217) 355-9411.
You mean I am a member and at my price spent over 800.00 on study
material? Of course I have a much better resource library for doing so
and love my Horticopia software!

As long as folks are going to extend the final note...

Earlier, we reviewed whether a climber not versatile in the full range of landscaping may be handicapped as an arborist. And for now, that's best left as a question, and the climbers left as arborists. But the question is still a good one, because it leaves one extra goal to persue.

Again, instead of focusing merely on climbing which is just a particle of The Whole, let's be sure to include the wide variety of what being an arborist is, or what it may entail. Since this thread was about Becoming an arborist.

This image here shows one more aspect of arboriculture, which can involve modifications to decks.

In Oregon, my landscape contractors license allows deck work and deck building, for this aspect of arboriculture.

This kind of tree protection is another mark of a real arborist - another fragment of The Whole.

For me, it would be a pain to be restricted from this kind of work, because I enjoy the variety, and I can help people get the deck designed for future adaption as well.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Now this image has very little to do with being an arborist, except it would be nice for an arborist to know about.

This image is mainly just because it's a cool looking twig.

Not sure if there is enough in the image to show the genus.

But if anyone wants to guess the tree type - go for it. I've seen this type of deformity several times on the same genus out here in the Pacific NW.

Watch Treeseer nail it on the head ...

attachment.php

Now on this image below, it wouldn't even take a Hot-Dog to guess the problem on the tree.

Odds are that 99% of you arborists will guess this damage right off the bat, knowing that the photo was taken facing Northeast.

It's a weeping cherry tree, and with that fact, most of you can probably explain the most likely cause that you suspect for the injury.

attachment.php

Now here's an Arborist basic.

This is definitely an Arborist 101 and you almost have to have this one under your belt to become an arborist - at least in Apple tree territory.

Transforming a watersprout into a fruit bearing spur.

In this image, is a watersprout that was transformed to a spur that produced flowers and fruit in it's second year.

For their size, apple trees seem to be one of the most demanding trees to do right, but are very rewarding to see when finished, and when flowers and fruit show up.

attachment.php

WHOA, Treeseer your figures are a little off there my man!!

$300 dollars, what about ceus? if the person is a nonmember they wont get the magazine with the little .5 or 1 ceu credits they offer.

secondly your pricing seems a little off for non members?????

when I joined it was...if I remember correctly $295.00?? the non member price for the study guide was like $89.00 not to mention the cost for the testing....that I dont recall.

you have given a misinformed example of overall cost comparisons, his $2.00hr raise based on a 2000hr work year will get him a gross of $4000.00 but he will be lucky to take home 1/2 that, he will likely not even notice the raise, once he starts shelling money out of pocket for the, Membership, testing, books, chapter fees???, more books(for ceu`s), renewal fees, etc..

I think his certification will cost a lot more than $300.00 over the course of three years, Ive talked to arbos & they have informed me on costs & headaches for keeping their cert.......and its way more than $300.00.

Honestly if it only cost what you said, Id have gotten my certification!!! but that is not the case.

LXT............

Test for nonmember $225

* ISA Publications
* ISA Arborist News Quiz

ISA Videos

Computer Based Training

# Soil Management
# Pruning
# ID/Selection
# Diagnosis & Treatment
# Urban Forestry
# Safe Work Practices
# Tree Protection
# Tree Biology
# Tree Risk Management

C`mon Seer, you have shown the books & how to obtain credits, Now show the price of those books.......their not cheap!! lets give the thread starter a fair Idea!! of course it would be best to contact ISA for current pricing.

LXT.......

WHOA, Treeseer your figures are a little off there my man!!

$300 dollars, what about ceus? if the person is a nonmember they wont get the magazine with the little .5 or 1 ceu credits they offer.

secondly your pricing seems a little off for non members?????

This .pdf here >> http://www.isa-arbor.com/Certification/resources/certapp.pdf
listed on page 7 that the test is $225 for non-members. Hasn't changed for some years. The arborist certification guide on this link, indicates basically $95 >> http://secure.isa-arbor.com/store/Arborists-Certification-Study-Guide--P5C1.aspx

But as of today anyway, red letter note says limited time offer 25% off, so it is $75 as of Treeseer's posting.

Treeseer appears to be right about the low end ...

He also listed the Online Seminars which are FREE CEUs. So if someone opts for the free CEUs, then they just have the renewal fee at 3 year intervals.

But going from memory, you were close about the book.

Last edited:
Clearance I find it hard to believe you have someone telling
you how to tie in,start your saw etc anymore! I may be wrong,
obviously you got a burr up your bu?? about something that has
happened recently to you! I for one would like to hear a few of
your instances, to fully understand what is going on in your world!

A few things, asked by CAs to 1)climb dead trees that are unsafe (I fell them)

2) Remove a jackpot (nasty blowdown of many trees) but to leave all the logs in long lengths (I made the cuts where it was safe)

3) push over trees beside powerlines with an aluminum pike pole instead of the mandated rope (I questioned this and was fired)

4) work by power without a mandated permit (I questioned and was fired)

5) told not to tell the person in charge of that part of the power system I was working on it (I questioned and was fired)

So yes, I am pizzed off at the whole CA b.s. I dared question thier directing unsafe work practices and got fired by the company I was working for, the first time I been fired. The first two things I just did it my way, my point is they asked.

Is that enough?

C`mon Seer, you have shown the books & how to obtain credits, Now show the price of those books.......their not cheap!! lets give the thread starter a fair Idea!! of course it would be best to contact ISA for current pricing.

LXT.......

Will somebody PLEASE find this guy and take his laptop away. :dizzy:

Seriously, my calculations for current costs:

Nonmember test taking fee: $225; study guide (book and audio, Best Mgt practices and 3 ANSI regs, pruning, fertilization and support systems and Z133.1 reg) : $200 (book alone $95). For a total of $425. (Travel and motel extra, obviously). Figuring a $2/hr raise, it will take approximately 5 1/3 weeks to break even on this expenditure (Matt's going to have to figure his own taxes...) For recertification at 3 years: $200

For a member:
Dues in ISA w/one chapter: $155 (can vary more or less depending on the chapter of your choice).
Test fee: $125;
study guide: $140.
Total for member: $420 ($5 cheaper than nonmember)

I choose to renew ISA membership annually so figure two more years at $155 each: $310. Recertification fee at the end of 3 years: $100.

As Treeseer pointed out there are many affordable ways to obtain CEUs. I am not including buying reference books in these quotes as there are many options. I happen to be a book buyer so tend to go that way.

Being a member of a powerful association that supports both trees and tree workers' interests is a good thing, in my humble opinion.

S Mc

Last edited:
A few things, asked by CAs to 1)climb dead trees that are unsafe (I fell them)

2) Remove a jackpot (nasty blowdown of many trees) but to leave all the logs in long lengths (I made the cuts where it was safe)

3) push over trees beside powerlines with an aluminum pike pole instead of the mandated rope (I questioned this and was fired)

4) work by power without a mandated permit (I questioned and was fired)

5) told not to tell the person in charge of that part of the power system I was working on it (I questioned and was fired)

So yes, I am pizzed off at the whole CA b.s. I dared question thier directing unsafe work practices and got fired by the company I was working for, the first time I been fired. The first two things I just did it my way, my point is they asked.

Is that enough?
Very interesting were the ca hire by the utility? Were they ca us
or just ca's? Did you document the specifics date ,time, persons
involved,witnesses, just normal foreman duties? I would say if
your answer is yes to those questions, go to the safety commission
in your area. You may be known as a whistle blower but you can
have a say in safe practice at that company! Probably wont get
your job back,am I to take it you are unemployed?

Will somebody PLEASE find this guy and take his laptop away. :dizzy:

Seriously, my calculations for current costs:

Nonmember test taking fee: $225; study guide (book and audio, Best Mgt practices and 3 ANSI regs, pruning, fertilization and support systems and Z133.1 reg) : $200 (book alone $95). For a total of $425. (Travel and motel extra, obviously). Figuring a $2/hr raise, it will take approximately 5 1/3 weeks to break even on this expenditure (Matt's going to have to figure his own taxes...) For recertification at 3 years: $200

For a member:
Dues in ISA w/one chapter: $155 (can vary more or less depending on the chapter of your choice).
Test fee: $125;
study guide: $140.
Total for member: $420 ($5 cheaper than nonmember)

I choose to renew ISA membership annually so figure two more years at $155 each: $310. Recertification fee at the end of 3 years: $100.

As Treeseer pointed out there are many affordable ways to obtain CEUs. I am not including buying reference books in these quotes as there are many options. I happen to be a book buyer so tend to go that way.

Being a member of a powerful association that supports both trees and tree workers' interests is a good thing, in my humble opinion.

S Mc
I totally agree whoops it is time to pay dues:monkey:I still
agree:laugh:

Very interesting were the ca hire by the utility? Were they ca us
or just ca's? Did you document the specifics date ,time, persons
involved,witnesses, just normal foreman duties? I would say if
your answer is yes to those questions, go to the safety commission
in your area. You may be known as a whistle blower but you can
have a say in safe practice at that company! Probably wont get
your job back,am I to take it you are unemployed?

The utility has CAs working for them, ISA certified utility specialists. In years gone by these men, known as vegetation coordinators were not ISA certified, now they all are. The ones that were around before the ISA b.s came along are pretty much decent guys, some of the guys hired since are actually certified utility arborists like myself, of course they know the deal, very well. It is the ones who think they are God because they got the ISA cert. that are the problem.

I made formal written complaints after I was fired, the company that fired me ended up paying me about $4500 to settle. Because of my efforts, the utility has ordered certain practices to be stopped. Practices that should have never been allowed in the first place. I have made enemies, no doubt, but thats not the point. When you have unqualified, inexperienced guys making things up on thier own, in postions of power, you are going to have problems.

I found work very soon after being fired, there is lots of work here, thanks for asking.

The utility has CAs working for them, ISA certified utility specialists. In years gone by these men, known as vegetation coordinators were not ISA certified, now they all are. The ones that were around before the ISA b.s came along are pretty much decent guys, some of the guys hired since are actually certified utility arborists like myself, of course they know the deal, very well. It is the ones who think they are God because they got the ISA cert. that are the problem.

I made formal written complaints after I was fired, the company that fired me ended up paying me about $4500 to settle. Because of my efforts, the utility has ordered certain practices to be stopped. Practices that should have never been allowed in the first place. I have made enemies, no doubt, but thats not the point. When you have unqualified, inexperienced guys making things up on thier own, in postions of power, you are going to have problems.

I found work very soon after being fired, there is lots of work here, thanks for asking.
Great to hear you are moving on and as always hope the best
for fellow tree men. It would seem you may have encountered
a bad apple in your career! I would strongly suggest you fight
by getting the cert yourself,if the issue ever comes to light
in future your interests may be better served by having the
credential to support your ideas of safety! It could not hurt
and you may be in position to change without moving on the
next time it occurs. I wish I had done it many years ago, my
one regret was not getting formal education even though
I have intensive study devoted toward it. I am going to
take my test in March in Tenn then get Utility specialist
added soon! I am old school have climbed with bowline on
the bight I watched many of less experience move above
me by education and fought the idea for years. Reallity
I am worse to myself for not doing what is necessary to
move up the ladder. I had respect of most of those guys
in the utility as the one that can do it but where does it
get you old and brokedown for little return!

which laptop would you like? funny how when I talk to arbo`s the dollar amount they give me for keeping the cert. is way higher, secondly how long have you been a CA?

cause all the guys I know have said that after 10-15 years the CEU options are bleak....meaning from what Im told you will have to repurchase the same books you already have!!

when I checked it would have cost me way more than $300.00

& how do non-members get Ceu`s......:dizzy: they either buy the books or pay for the ability to be able to get them.

what is the cost of the following:

Membership= ? must have this to get the Magazine for the CEU`s

CA study guide= ? we`ll say $75....but its more like $89+s&h

The CA test= ?

Chapter dues= ? cause they dont really like non-members coming to get Ceu`s, let alone not being a member how do you keep track of your CEU`s!!
& if your not a member....how do you get them? & at what cost?

being a non-member is the harder route, they tend to loose your CEU`s or not give credit for them......has happened to many I know.

I will call the ISA tommorrow & get some info from them, cause if its that cheap Ill get my Cert. just for the heck of it!!!

LXT.............

Great to hear you are moving on and as always hope the best
for fellow tree men. It would seem you may have encountered
a bad apple in your career! I would strongly suggest you fight
by getting the cert yourself,if the issue ever comes to light
in future your interests may be better served by having the
credential to support your ideas of safety! It could not hurt
and you may be in position to change without moving on the
next time it occurs. I wish I had done it many years ago, my
one regret was not getting formal education even though
I have intensive study devoted toward it. I am going to
take my test in March in Tenn then get Utility specialist
added soon! I am old school have climbed with bowline on
the bight I watched many of less experience move above
me by education and fought the idea for years. Reallity
I am worse to myself for not doing what is necessary to
move up the ladder. I had respect of most of those guys
in the utility as the one that can do it but where does it
get you old and brokedown for little return!

I do not need ISA anything to know about safety, its mostly there in the work laws we have. I can't stand the thought of giving them my money. You will be the same man after the test Rope, you will just have C.A. after your name. But, you are a real treeman, which is more than I can say for many of those ISA culls.

which laptop would you like? funny how when I talk to arbo`s the dollar amount they give me for keeping the cert. is way higher, secondly how long have you been a CA?

cause all the guys I know have said that after 10-15 years the CEU options are bleak....meaning from what Im told you will have to repurchase the same books you already have!!

when I checked it would have cost me way more than $300.00

& how do non-members get Ceu`s......:dizzy: they either buy the books or pay for the ability to be able to get them.

what is the cost of the following:

Membership= ? must have this to get the Magazine for the CEU`s

CA study guide= ? we`ll say $75....but its more like $89+s&h

The CA test= ?

Chapter dues= ? cause they dont really like non-members coming to get Ceu`s, let alone not being a member how do you keep track of your CEU`s!!
& if your not a member....how do you get them? & at what cost?

being a non-member is the harder route, they tend to loose your CEU`s or not give credit for them......has happened to many I know.

I will call the ISA tommorrow & get some info from them, cause if its that cheap Ill get my Cert. just for the heck of it!!!

LXT.............

Dmc has a better cost breakdown, most will need more than
the study guide to pass the test is what I have been told.
I bought all the suggested material for reference and to learn
more on the ins and outs, The software is cool but probably
not as necessary! The Audio is helpful but may not be necessary
unless you are like me and greek, truely is greek lol.
All in all its pretty expensive but I was able to write the expense
off on tax so the hit was not what it could be.
I also like having references on hand to help with the proper
decision toward phc. and the horticopia is awesome but
expensive!

Back