Bed knife quote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdboy9

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got a quote from zenithcutter for a new bed knife for my olathe model 12 drum chipper. It is 112 for one and if i get 3 or more they want 77 each. Its a custom job because they have never made any before.

How much do you all usually pay for these things? Also is there a way I can get new edges on the old one? Any suggestions would be great. I can say I love the chipper otherwise though, for what i need it for anyway.

Matt

Matt, It hurts but just do it-Bed knives last so long that amortized over time it is negligible. You could "spend" $100 worth of effort trying to chase down one for $25 less. I don't know about the design of the Olathe model 12, I bought a new bed knife for a little Wood Pro a few years ago and it was $60(7.25 x 3inch bed knife).That one is still in production. On that machine I sharpened and resharpened many times before it got too small and the adjustment built into the design could no longer compensate for what I had ground away.

Thanks Justin, how do you sharpen yours? Machine shop or do you have any tricks to do it yourself? I didn't even check to see if it was hardened at all.

Thanks a bunch

Most are made from an alloy steel to promote the best wear characteristics and also have decent hardness (along with staying together when beating on the wood time and time again). Proper sharpening shouldn't change the properties of the knife. If grinding it down with a hand grinder, you may change it's properties enough that it becomes brittle and then you have a sharp missle ready to be launched out the discharge chute. Most knives are hard ont he edges, and soft near the bolt holes. Slow grinding with a correctly set-up machine is the best way. I've found a local place will do it for about $40 per knife set. And they actually stayed balanced!

Proj Eng, is on target.-But overheatingtends to soften the steel so you probably won't embrittle anything except thin edges unless you quench it. I have a low RPM bench grinder that I use. It is pretty easy to match knives and sharpen without overheating with my set up.-I paid $15 for it at a garage sale! As for the bed knife-on the WoodPro it is just a slab of 1/2 tool steel with threaded holes in the center. The mounting surface holds the angle and all that is needed is to have sharp square edges on the knife and then set the gap.

One more thing, before going through with getting the knife from ZC, (I know they are usually the cheapest), look around a little bit more. There may be other places that have done that same knife before and they have the info for it archived somewhere. At least then you'll know for sure that you'll be getting exactly what you need. Two other places that come to mind...
Leonardimfg.com
The Knifesource LLC

Back