Beech is down, what do I do now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samueltc

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday I've taken down a beech (base is around 36 inch of diameter). Its the first time I log that kind of tree and once it fell down, I've realised that a lot of big (12 inch of diameter) branch are "stuck" under the trunk, ready to release a force that can probably kill in second.

I've started to prune the branch that are above the trunk, but I really don't known what I'll do for the one that are under.

Should I have first climb into the tree and prune some of the biggest branch?

What do I do now, anyone have a suggestion or a technique?

All the best,

Samuel

Last edited:
Hook long chain to it and roll it over if possible!!! SAFEST if you lack experience!!!

i am no means a professional but it would start by making it much lighter.. starting form farthest away and work in closer little at a time... because i see that being very difficult to roll with out a very large machine

Rolling it is a fine idea, if you can do it. Otherwise, start at the top of the tree and trim you way down. Make sure you have plenty of clear space around you. Eliminate tripping hazards. When cutting branches under the trunk, read the tension and compression side of the wood. Make a small cut on the compression side (the side that will close up and pnich the saw) and finish on the tension side. Be very careful about watching which way the trunk may want to roll and which way a branch may spring. With care, time, and common sense, you should be able to work your way down. If you cannot read the forces in the tree, do not cut it - get help.

Good luck.

First clean up the mess in case you need to make a run for it. Second take that butt log off. Then start from the top of the tree and cut back. Take your time and clear the area as you work. The rest is up to you never know when of those is going to roll so be ready to drop the saw and move.

First clean up the mess in case you need to make a run for it. Second take that butt log off. Then start from the top of the tree and cut back. Take your time and clear the area as you work. The rest is up to you never know when of those is going to roll so be ready to drop the saw and move.

From the pic, it looked like the butt is too high. If not, then getting that extra weight off is a good idea.

I always like limbing the tree from the top down as well. Seems to be the safest way and just works better. It relieves tension a little at a time, taking weight off as you move towards heavier wood. I also find that it helps to minimize potential for saw pinch as it relieves tension as you go.

I like to start from the top as well, although sometimes when you take enough weight off the top, the butt will drop and raise the the top up. That sometimes works in your favor, then sometimes is doesn't, but if it doesn't then all you have to do is cut the butt off and that will lower the top back down. A second bar & chain is nice to have incase you pinch your bar. Or if you have another chainsaw take the chainsaw off the pinched bar so it doesn't get smashed if the tree rolls on it when making another cut with your other chainsaw. As others mentioned, clean up the area before and as you are making cuts so you can see it better and escape if something wrong. Take your time, use common sense, and if you don't feel comfortable now or halfway thru the work, hire somebody to finish it off. I can't say what others would charge, but if you were within 10 miles of my house, I'd do it for a case of beer or $20 bucks if all I had to do was finish laying it down.

Start from the top, smaller branches first if you can.

Not sure if you have any wedges, but you can use them to avoid pinching as the compression releases.

As stated, clear away all other material to ensure clear get away, and keep it clear as you move along. A once clear path can change as the cutting progresses.

Try to ensure you have somebody else standing nearby, but not close enough to be in danger, just in case something happens.

There can be, and are, a lot of forces at work (compression and tension) under a tree and they can injure or kill.

Latest posts

Back