beech logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porta mill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got some log length fire wood and there are a few nice beech logs , I have enough fire wood for this year so I wondering if beech logs are worth milling . Does it dry nicely or does twist and bow ? any info would be helpful.

Yeah, mill it and see what you get. I've been milling Ash and Maple for center cut posts and beams. The rest goes to firewood. The worst that can happen is you burn a bit of gas and oil.

Quarter sawn beech is great stuff

Desirable for tool making (such as molding planes) and other things. The most relevant use of beech though is the quarter-sawn beech for tool's and you may want to mill it 2" thick quarter-sawn for the molding planes purpose. 1" or 7/8th's may be to thin for that purpose if you were to kiln dry it and put some up on ebay.

Anyway, just thinking of how I would use some nice beech wood!
Ian

I do not have a kiln . air dry for me . I am just a man form the country that hates to make big box stores money when I can mill and build it my self . at this point I have more logs than I need at this point I guess maybe you can never have to many logs.

Latest posts

Back