Beef Tri-Tip Roast -- Jerky or Steak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rarely do I find Tri-Tip Roast. Two of them this morning. Wow!

I'm tempted to Jerky them both. Maybe one of the tips for a steak and the rest for Jerky. They were a good price, but as a whole, expensive.

Any exceptional Tri-Tip Jerky recipes? My standard recipe for most all Jerky is 1/4 inch sliced, marinate overnight in a zip lock bag 1/2 Teriyaki + 1/2 Water, and Asian Spice Sea Salt to taste.

I'm going to sit on these a day. To special to rush to a decision.

1667843287508.png

That was fast. All Jerky! If I want Tri-Tip steaks, I'll buy tri-tip steaks. They are readily available from the butcher that way, but for sale as a roast, rare, very rarely seen.

Rarely do I find Tri-Tip Roast. Two of them this morning. Wow!

I'm tempted to Jerky them both. Maybe one of the tips for a steak and the rest for Jerky. They were a good price, but as a whole, expensive.

Any exceptional Tri-Tip Jerky recipes? My standard recipe for most all Jerky is 1/4 inch sliced, marinate overnight in a zip lock bag 1/2 Teriyaki + 1/2 Water, and Asian Spice Sea Salt to taste.

I'm going to sit on these a day. To special to rush to a decision.

View attachment 1030510
Tri tip is relatively new to the beef world. Heard from a guy from Wyoming that they don't have it in his home state. First time i can remember eating it was in the early 80's, but it's a regular now on our grocery list when available at the right price. Marinated for at least 8 hrs then grilled to a medium rare served with a just right russet baked tater, maybe some grilled asparagus mixed with evoo and chopped garlic, a real hit with the neighbors in the warmer months! Damn it, I just ate breakfast, and now I'm hungry again!! 😋

Got it trimmed up. Not to surprisingly on the down side was a THICK layer of fat. Still plenty of lightly marbled beef. In the freezer to stiffen up then I'll slice it up and start the marination. The fat is very nice, or at least most of it. I'll save the fat for the next time I make beef sausages.

Pictures later...

Got it trimmed up. Not to surprisingly on the down side was a THICK layer of fat. Still plenty of lightly marbled beef. In the freezer to stiffen up then I'll slice it up and start the marination. The fat is very nice, or at least most of it. I'll save the fat for the next time I make beef sausages.

Pictures later...
Curious as to what you paid per pound?

Shhh! Let’s keep the virtues of tri-tip secret.

If the family goes to a steakhouse, the order runs from filet mignon to ribeye to NY strip to sirloin to hamburger. Trying to have a cookout with my crowd was a nightmare until we discovered tri-tip. It is the only cut everyone enjoys. Marinated and grilled offers some good eating.

Usually priced the same as sirloin here, but most always in short supply.

Ron

$4.99/lb. No doubt cause of all the fat, that was hidden. If I wasn't able to save the fat for later use, I might feel a bit conned. Tis good. Meat sliced up shows a nice marbling that will render out once dried.

First is now sliced. Nest one in an hour or so.

View attachment 1030534

View attachment 1030537

View attachment 1030536
I like to leave just a thin layer of the fat , helps with the over all flavor when grilled, but your milage may vary! 😂 $4.99 ain't bad for good beef these days!

Y'all may be interested in this video on breaking beef. I'm not a fan of some of his knife work but that is something each butcher develops, good or bad. The reason Tri tip is relatively new to the beef world is because you don't find bone-in sirloin anymore and Tri tip comes from the process of boning for Top Sirloin Butt, breaking beef for bone-in sirloin and T-Bone is done different.

I knew them as a santa maria steak. They are big out in California. My uncle introduced it to me years ago. They even have a special gill to cook them on.

I know for a fact they are marketed here in Wyoming.

I just put one on the egg for a good sear and then let it go until the preferred temp...

I like to leave just a thin layer of the fat , helps with the over all flavor when grilled, but your milage may vary! 😂 $4.99 ain't bad for good beef these days!

Rib-eyes are that way. Off the grill the fat adds the zing to a seared steak. Next day though the fat always seemed to go rancid. For grilling I do like the N.Y. Cuts, and if T-Bones are offered look for the center cut that has a generous tenderloin section.

Tomorrow I get to dehydrate 5+ pounds of Marinated Tri-Tip while I make countless trips back and forth burning the slash and splittler trash that has piled up this past fall. I got thru about 1/3 of it yesterday before night fall hit and I had to pour about 100+ gallons of water on it. Today 4" of snow so plenty of moisture to keep it under control while I set all of it a blaze.

10 hours and still not done. Tis dry but shiny. I'll put it away and redry it again at a later date.

8 hours in the dehydrator at max/165 degrees
2 hours in the oven 170 degrees
Now I'll freeze it and later I'll finish it in the oven.

Stats:
~6 lbs from the store or $18+$13 = $31 total cost
1lbs 1 oz of fat trimmed
So 5ish pound in to the dehydrator
Semi finished final weight is 2lbs 4oz or 36oz

$31/36oz Or about under $1/oz

I don't recall exactly Jerky prices at the store but it is above $2oz (probably a lot more), and I will add that what I've taste tested so far this is some outstanding Jerky. Lots of work though... Gots to be a proud carnivore to justify this much effort for this small morsel of very tough meat.
1667953228083.jpeg

I grew up working in a Polish meat market. Tri tip has been around forever. It is a part of the sirloin. Whole tri tips are usually sold in a kryovacked pkg and yes, they have a heavy fat cap on one side. I have trimmed hundreds of them. Tri tip is also a very tough cut of meat. That is why most butchers will pulverize them w a Jacquard machine. Traditional jerky is usually made w flank steak or brisket. Cheers

First time I saw that cut is when I went to survey a job in Bakersfield in the oil fields. Every little restaurant had tri tip pit bbq on the menu on Friday or Saturday can’t remember which day. Very rarely actually pit bbq, most of the time spiced and wrapped up and baked in the oven. Was always tender and tasted good but they served it with salsa on top. Weird for bbq. I have found that cut in Oklahoma recently, about $4 to $5 a pound. I trimmed a bit of the heavy fat off and I seasoned it and grilled it and let it rest and served it as steak. It was tender and tasted good but it wasn’t a ribeye. My family liked it and I joked about getting some Pace picante sauce on everyone’s plate so it was true California tri tip. Everyone passed on my suggestion. If I see it again at the market on sale I may try it as jerky, decent marbling and a cross grain cut might make good jerky with a good marinade soak.

Latest posts

Back