Been doing lots of cutting lately. Pics and story inside!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Reaction score
Oh where to start. I've been doing a bunch of cutting lately. It's my first year of burning wood and I had zero ready to burn. I'm burning semi-seasoned wood and right now it's 77 degrees in the living room. I love burning wood.

Anyways, a friend of mine said he had a series of trees along a road he wanted down. So on a crisp, cold Friday morning after we got off work, we headed out to get these trees down. I forgot to take before pics, so here's an after pic with my 028 AV Super, my 026 and an MS441 that I borrowed from my local Stihlership since my MS360 Pro was down at the moment.
e725ed0b.jpg

And here's my Cummins (the red one) and my buddies Cummins that we use to help trees fall the way we want them to.
8a5f464b.jpg

That was on November 11th, and just last week a semi loaded with steel coils dropped the trailer off the birm on that very section of road the trees were located at. The trailer went off the road, pulling the cab along with it, exactly where the trees I cut down once stood. God only knows what could have been the outcome had I not taken those trees down. The cab would have been slammed right into those trees. :msp_scared:

So then this morning I ended up taking down a walnut tree right across the road from my buddies house. I dropped the tree across the road (it's a rarely travelled dirt road out in the middle of nowhere) and we jokingly said how the county needs to grade the road. Well I ran home and grabbed my trailer, and upon our return, we realized the county had been through and graded the road :laugh:

Here's the walnut. She was dead. Really dead. When she hit the road it exploded and much of it was hollow.
ce45f59d.jpg

And here she is all loaded up on the trailer at the house. Got a little pile of wood to keep me busy tomorrow. My carport will be going to the left of the pile alongside the field. All this wood here will be stacked and stored in the carport, once it's delivered and setup.
ff7a45dc.jpg

Oh, and here's a blowdown I cleaned up a few weeks ago as well.
7d95bf96.jpg

With everything I've cut so far, I've got 1 stack of mixed wood that's just under 9 cords. I've also got a stack of ash that's about 3 cords. I think with everything I've got close to 15 or 16 cords total. Should do me good this winter.

Also, my new Fiskars X27 splitting axe and X7 hatchet came in last night. I was able to try them both out extensively. They are both very great tools, and I can't believe I used that cheapo Menards splitting maul all this time. Just a solid "thud" sound and the Fiskars did its job. Very impressed!

Ash is my favorite to burn, you can basically burn it the same day it's down. Good to see your're getting a good head start.

Great pics, great workout..
I really like my Stihl PA 80 6.6lb Splitter Maul..
Cheers..

Latest posts

Back