Been tuning the Echo CS-4400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccarley

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Pulled the H limiter cap off to get it fattened up a bit. Pretty happy with the performance, however this little saw seems a bit more difficult to tune than say my Craftsman 54cc saw.

Pulling the throttle wide open and trying to richen it up to 4stroke seems, well, sketchy. I was tuning it while cutting some big pine last night, basically opening up the H screw until it started to bog while in the cut. I can't say that I heard it 4stroke like the bigger saw, but it sure is running better and has more torque.

IMG_0354.sized.jpg

I just want to make sure that this saw will stay alive for a long time. Should I worry about getting it richer at this point, or just run it?

Clay

I just fixed up a 440--- pulled the caps and put on a new fuel filter to get it tuned well. Rebuilt the carb, too.
If it 4-strokes wot but cleans up in the wood you're probably close. I ended up taching this one at 12,500ish w a nice 4-stroke. Hard to say where you are without hearing it or running it in wood.

Check the fuel system, fill tank w good mix, check muffler screen, clean your airfilter... let warm up.
Set your idle first. It's ok to run wot out of wood for a few secs just for tuning and checking tune. Start rich, then slowly lean it out til you get it right.

Was out running & tuning the saw again this evening. Full throttle, warmed up it 4 strokes lightly. Well, lightly compared to my Craftsman 3.3 saw (lower RPM, and louder).

Idle is great, response is great, and well I guess it's only 44 cc's so power is decent with the 18" bar. I may go for a large nose bar later on. Haven't seen too many of these somewhat modern Echo's with large diameter nose bars?

Thanks BuckthornBonnie!
Clay

PS... not sure if I suck or not but I picked up this fine little saw for $140... surprisingly well maintained!

They're not bad--- light enough to run all day. My buddy uses his to clear his deer hunting property and hinge cut trees for cover.

After running the Craftsman saw (Poulan 3300) over the weekend, I'm definitely going to have to muffler mod & re-tune this Echo. The Craftsman has a mild muffler mod and although it is 10cc's bigger, it has insane power now, even with the Oregon "yellow" non-safety chain on it. I feel like i need chaps just to prevent the chips from going through my jeans. I feel like the Echo with the smaller 18" bar should be pretty close as it *seems* to be a better saw and their engines seem to put out pretty good power for their size.

Clay

Latest posts

Back