being double tied into a spar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OutofMyTree: I am very curious as to how you have the cordage tied 'inside' of the pulley. How does is it work? Better yet, does it work?

Last edited:
OutofMyTree: I am very curious as to how you have the cordage tied 'inside' of the pulley. How does is it work? Better yet, does it work?

It saves room on the karabiner. Nothing else to it really. I prefer to tie my own prussiks and adjust the length untill it "sits" just right then snip off the end. You can't do that with a store bought splice and I have not learned to splice my own yet. So I use dfl's for terminations and they take a fair bit of room. :)

I like that a lot man. I think I might play around with that some time. Thanks for posting those pictures!!! Seems a lot easier to move your secondary tie-in down the tree with a cinch knot that can be loosened.

I posted this somewhere else but I am too lazy to look for the link. This is my usual blocking down set up except I use a different friction hitch now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

If I have any concern about the trunk splitting when the top comes out I use tie down straps rated to 1400kg. If they split I was dead anyway. :greenchainsaw:

Double tie-in to a spar

outofmytree asked for some pix of an F8 tie-in to a spar with rap down:

Double tie-in to a spar = F8 biner choker TIP + Lanyard tie-in:
4186758226_cc64eb78bd.jpg

Drop Lanyard tie-in & rap down from F8 choker:
4186758274_1e7b8da304.jpg

Reset Lanyard tie-in, then ... Pull down F8 TIP (with line on right):
4186758328_6d11514ab0.jpg

Reset F8 TIP :
4187047105_af9bbc9f44.jpg

Questions, complaints, advice ... welcome.

Last edited:
I'd say everything looks good except that last picture. The gate was facing down which means that when you weight the tie in you'll load the gate, which isn't good. Just make sure to have the gate facing up when you tie in this way.

:agree2: Good catch, scubadude1188, thanks!!!
I was too busy taking pix ... changed that last pic to avoid any mis-guidance to anyone ... just in time, too, the liability lawyers were lining up at my door. :cheers:

Last edited:
Now I see what you meant SJ. I had a mental picture of that rig but without the krab captured by the f8 termination. I thought you meant to tie the f8 back on the rope itself. The weight of the krab makes a real difference when retrieving the rope. You could also use a friction hitch instead of the descender although if you rappel of course the hitch will need to be worked off at the bottom.

Nice clear pictures too. Easy to understand. Good stuff! :cheers:

Now I see what you meant SJ. I had a mental picture of that rig but without the krab captured by the f8 termination. I thought you meant to tie the f8 back on the rope itself. The weight of the krab makes a real difference when retrieving the rope. You could also use a friction hitch instead of the descender although if you rappel of course the hitch will need to be worked off at the bottom.

Nice clear pictures too. Easy to understand. Good stuff! :cheers:

Thanks!!!

I've not been a big fan of friction hitch for an SRT rap ... the GG is new and I'm lovin' it ... part of a RAD SRT system I'm working on ... but that's for another thread - when I'm done.

-Jack

basically, decending SRT on a hitch sucks. It burns up your hands and your hitch and you cant go very fast. And it locks on the the line. the F8 revolver takes the heat off and allowys you to fly. Being on a roller, it acts like a gri gri or a cinch as you climb the tree so you can go up too and work the tree. For longer acents you just pop it off and remain tied in with the hitch to the line. Its great on a spar.

here is a real blurry clip of me climbing a spar with it attached.

That looks like a pretty smooth rig you got there. Can't see everything real clear, though. Do you have any more pics?

here are a few more. the last pic shows how I flip the revolver to my bridge thus advancing the hitch into a footlock cord.

the F8 revolver works well for working a single line with a hitch

MAN!!! ... you're back ... I was really interested in your 'system' ... you post a few great posts and disappear ... feared the worst!!!

WELCOME ... DON'T GO AWAY, AGAIN!!!

Also thought this was a must read for this topic. Plus good picture of entire setup.

Just copy and paste and take the space out between (tree and buzz) and it should work fine. it wont let me post the exact link on here

www.tree buzz.com/pdf/tie-in.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back